C&C challenge.

How did you do that so cleanly???

thinkricky said:
How did you do that so cleanly???

I'm wondering the same thing

cs5, cloning, masking. spent maybe 5 minutes at most.. just saw a lot of people had the same complaint about the busy background, so took a shot at it.

Nice Rotanimod! That's impressive. Thanks for the compliment too.

thanks! & you're welcome. wouldn't have bothered with the edit if I didn't think it was a really good image to start with.

Pretty decent shot. Good framing. I like the action and dirt flying. I agree with the stand in the back being a bit distracting. Finding a nice turn where you would just get natural scenery who have improved the shot. You could have possibly used a slightly faster shutter speed to freeze the action a bit better and a slight smaller aperture, maybe 5.6. The front of the bike is just a tad blurry compared to the rider which is nice and crisp. Just a few subtle changes. Maybe a bit more vivid on the color too. This shot could handle it given the subject and how he has lots of nice color popping to begin with.

Love the photo, perfect exposure and the way you caught the action is perfect. However, the building in the background is distracting, and the mountains are out color, could've been some lens flare.

nice! I like it, composition is good, exposure is good, I do like the busy background removed in your edit a bit better, and you did a good job with it, but you can kindof tell that something was removed from there, a little more time in that area wouldn't hurt (but you mentioned that it was just a quick dirty edit)...I also agree with traveller, but the main thing that draws the attention away from the rider that I see is the highlighted mound of dirt in the lower left corner of the image, that's where I'd start adjusting to pull the attention up to the driver.

overall though it is a great shot, I'm not much of a MX guy, but it looks like it was a lot of fun to shoot.

As I see it, this picture isn't as effective as it could be because the rider is surrounded by areas that are as bright as he is.
The ground is light, the hills are light. there are bright areas all other that pull the eye.
Even the rider himself has bright areas that pull my eye away from his torso and upper half to his arm and his foot.

By creating more contrast in the background, the sprayed dirt becomes more apparent and gives more energy to the picture.
By darkening at least some of the brighter areas, the viewer's eye could settle on the rider first.

Make your rider stand out.

I really do not know how you could look at that shot and not be immediately drawn to the rider as the subject.

Like it, here.. and personally.. I like the puffy spectators.. it balances the "triangle" if you will.. (opening myself for potshots i'm sure..) and shows that hey, someone gives a rats ash about this race... gives it more value (to me) than with those elements removed.. I love the color in the foreground - I love punchy colors and super strong contrast.. which is personal preference of course.... be nice to see a bit more punch in the blurry bits (contrast between hillside and fold but again, that's mostly preference.

Ingerson, and being able to see individual clods of dirt in what takes up a literal 4"x6" space on my screen is a very good thing.

...if I were going to remove anything, it'd be the patchy bits on the hillside - but not Miss Puff or the building.

Great job - well done.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back