C&C: Chop Shop

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by musicaleCA, Jun 6, 2009.

1. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I put these along with my licensing question in Shop Talk as an example of what I did to garner the interest of these guys (for another shoot at a different store; here's hoping *crosses fingers*). Please critique away. Any pointers for ways I could improve these shots would be great. All shot with my 50mm f/1.4 prime, which is effectively 80mm on my 450D (no retouching past exposure, colour correction, and contrast).

Lighting conditions: multiple lights inside, predominantly white/blue fluorescent, but some incandescents in places. Large open window at the front of the store, during daylight. No flash used.

Window to the left by about 2-3m, interior lights to the right.
    1/125 at f/2.0, ISO 200
    [​IMG]

Hard to remember, but I think the interior lights are what are bouncing off his head, and the window is far back and left outside the FoV.
    1/200 at f/1.8, ISO 200
    [​IMG]

Interior lights (as you can see...hmm, is that green fluorescent?) in the back and above, window behind the camera about 4-6m (roughly, can't remember for sure).
    1/100 at f/2.2, ISO 200
    [​IMG]

Lastly, you can check out their website at www.chopshophair.com if you're interested.

2. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These really look pretty good. They're good and sharp and bright. The lighting looks strikingly controlled for a situation using all available light. Number 1 and 3 look like good candid portraits to me. I like 3 more than 1. I think it has to do with knowing her eyes are open, but the angle of her face concealing them. It seems a bit awkward to me.

I'm not crazy about number 2. Like the others, it's good and sharp and the light is really nice. Especially coming in from the other side skimming across his face. But I find the composure a little unsettling. I don't like where the frame cuts at the back of his head and before the top of his mohawk. Although, if there were something of interest to the right I think it would be okay.

I definitely like 3 the best for a number of reasons. Gotta love that 50mm 1.4, right?

3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the tips (and compliments). :) I do indeed love my 50mm f/1.4. It's just so sharp, no CA ('cept for in the absolute worst conditions), and because I jumped for the USM over the normal "nifty fifty", it's really fast (focusing, I mean). That AF speed is what let me nab most of my shots at open apertures. Definitely the favourite lens in my kit.

Thanks for your advice on number 2. I didn't quite catch that. It's hard framing in a small space with an 80mm focal length, but I'll try to back up more next time I'm in a situation like this. At least then I'll have the option of cropping later.

As for number 1, she really is photogenic; I wish I had been able to catch her working, but that wasn't possible for the time I was there, and I only managed to snap a few sub-par shots (though some of her facial expressions in close-up were hilarious, I doubt she would've been flattered had I shown them :lol: ).