C&C Flowers

GregR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Being winter I bought some flowers to cheer up the wife and make it a little less gloomy... thought I'd snap a few shots...

Thoughts?

4340462200_fe3fd1975b_b.jpg

4339718383_80f9f068e8_b.jpg

Daisies are my favorite! Beautiful! Like in #1 you caught the slight purple edge... IMH(noobie)O I would've taken another of that one alone.. #2 looks good also. Crystal clear...good lighting, I also liked that you caught the stem in the background a bit also.
You should get one with your wife holding one or 2 too! :wink:

Daisies (and most flowers) benefit from having directional lighting off to the side when you're looking at face-views (not too far, think standard portraiture-type Rembrandt lighting 45 degree up 45 degree off center). This helps to accentuate the texture in the center as well as the detail on the petals.

The light here is flat (on camera flash slightly diffused?) and the falloff is in that middle ground where it's not fast enough to isolate the subject and too fast to give a more busy, well-lit composition.

#1 is also underexposed which may contribute to the appearance that the light falls off at a not-so-great rate. Fortunately, you can push exposure of flowers like this without too many problems in post.

#2 is more properly exposed but still suffers from pretty harsh shadows. With the exception of that one stem, the image ends on the right side after the edge of the flower. You've taken a great, straight-on shot, and daisies are naturally symmetrical -- I think your shot would benefit greatly with a square crop which completely centers the flower on the vertical and the horizontal. Keep the vertical height of the image as-is It'll keep in some stems for context.

Both suffer from a lack of midtone contrast which is easily popped with a levels or curves adjustment in the photoshop or clone of your choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back