C&C.... I think?

scooter2525

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not quite sure what C&C means, but I'm guessing it means comments and corrections. Anyways, have at it. My photoshop isn't working at the moment, so I'm not able to edit them, but I'll get it up and running soon.

ombWxJHwbCA-SBm71ktmMQ
IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

ombWxJHwbCA-SBm71ktmMQ

1 is just a snapshot, two has messed up WB.

I actually like #2... the color cast lends drama to what would otherwise be a snapshot of an airplane. I also like the fog evident on the beacon and the light behind the plane.

I agree with kn4ds I am kinda liking the way the fog is rollin in.

definitely play with the white balance and bring some brightness to the plane if possible.
Gotta disagree with you. The WB is actually accurate in this case - ramp lights are probably sodium vapor, which lends the red cast... just because the airplane is reddish doesn't make this a bad photo.

The human eye/brain compensates for color cast... it's a mistake to think that all photos that have white objects in them should show that object white in order to be a good photo.

I think this is a good photo, representing what's actually there, and as I said, the fog evident in the beacon and the ramp light behind the airplane increase the drama.

If the airplane was white, it'd just be another snapshot of an airplane. This image, to me, captures a dramatic moment... I'm left thinking of the pilot doing his pre-flight and taxiing out to a takeoff position in the fog...

Gotta disagree with you. The WB is actually accurate in this case - ramp lights are probably sodium vapor, which lends the red cast... just because the airplane is reddish doesn't make this a bad photo.

The human eye/brain compensates for color cast... it's a mistake to think that all photos that have white objects in them should show that object white in order to be a good photo.

I think this is a good photo, representing what's actually there, and as I said, the fog evident in the beacon and the ramp light behind the airplane increase the drama.

If the airplane was white, it'd just be another snapshot of an airplane. This image, to me, captures a dramatic moment... I'm left thinking of the pilot doing his pre-flight and taxiing out to a takeoff position in the fog...

I guess the picture was worth the 1,000 words. Thats pretty much the extent of the shot. The thing I was wondering, is how do I capture an image like that with the fog and the rotating beacon so the beacon is shown movement, like if I left the shutter open for 1.5 seconds, would the picture just show how far the beacon "marked" the sky? or would the fog dissipate that light?

Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate what to be looking for and what not to. The aircraft was white. The first image was just an attempt at a macro shot. I think the colors to me were interesting, but perhaps someone could shed some light on what could make that one a better photo.

And "C&C" stands for "Comments and Critique" ;)

As to the first: I disagree with that one poster's claim that it is "a mere snapshot" for it is not. You saw the lines drawing towards the rusty thing in the middle of this rounded whatever-it-is-kind-of-stone, and you created an image of it by putting your own photo around it as the frame, so at least I see more in it than "just a snapshot". More abstract photos may not be for everyone, and this is on the way towards the abstracter kind of photography, but that is ok. Yes, it might benefit from some further processing in Photoshop, the levels alone (adjusting the highlights, I am sure the "mountain" of the histogramme gets all flat long before the last hightlights are reached) might "do the trick" already to have this "pop" more.

The plane at night and the white balance ... I say: when it is this kind of light that surrounds you (sodium lights they are called?), and you use it - deliberately - as your only light source, then it is NOT WRONG to have this orange represented in your photos. If you shoot in RAW, you still have the option to adjust it mildly, but I would not suggest you adjust it to the point where it begins to look "all right according to the default white card", for that would no longer be "all right". Things weren't like that at night. (Unless, of course, you want to create some digital art and change this photo so much that it clearly is no longer supposed to represent reality, that is yet another option, of course). My only nitpick about that photo is that you were too close and the poor plane has no more feet --- erm: tyres. I would have preferred to see them inside your frame.

I like the shot too...
But
Imagination is a great thing...
Unfortunately, I see nothing serendipitous here...
No Pilot...
No Props turning...
No Navi or taxi lights on...
No Pre-flight check in progress...
No imminent taxi-ing into a take-off position in the fog...
Just a parked aircraft bathed in sodium light...
Shame to spoil a good story with an element of truth...
Jedo

I'm not quite sure what C&C means, but I'm guessing it means comments and corrections. Anyways, have at it. My photoshop isn't working at the moment, so I'm not able to edit them, but I'll get it up and running soon.

ombWxJHwbCA-SBm71ktmMQ
IMG_0790.JPG

ombWxJHwbCA-SBm71ktmMQ
IMO, Pic #1 has merit. - more than just a "snapshot"
Maybe you didn't set the shot up to capture this as an "abstract" work but that is how the shot looks to me... Something you'd see hanging on a corporate wall, or in a doctor's dentist's waiting room - maybe on the cover of some environmental publication...
I took the liberty of doing a little colour separation/enhancemant in L*a*b to bring out the subtle green, blue red hues...
I like it
Jedo

Attachments

• $Untitled-1.jpg
    $Untitled-1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 40

Most reactions

New Topics

Back