C&C Mushroom photos

CAG76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These mushrooms were growing out of a tree stump next to my house. I know this sounds funny but, besides the fact that I like black and white photography, I wanted to make these black and white because they are actually ugly looking mushrooms in color.

Christopher

Attachments

• $Mushroom1.jpg
    $Mushroom1.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 103
  • $Mushroom2.jpg
    $Mushroom2.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 116
#1 the DoF is too shallow leaving the front of the fungus out of focus.

If it were in colour would it look like this?

Edit: I see not that the two pics are together.

28-02-1.jpg

Oh no. My photos would not look that good if it was in color. My mushrooms are too ugly looking a mushroom. Ok now how did you get the whole thing to be so clear. My lens seems to only focus on a small portion of the image. I am using that 18-55mm cheap kit lens with my Canon Rebel XSi. Any awesome tips, I would appreciate.

-Christopher

Oh no. My photos would not look that good if it was in color. My mushrooms are too ugly looking a mushroom. Ok now how did you get the whole thing to be so clear. My lens seems to only focus on a small portion of the image. I am using that 18-55mm cheap kit lens with my Canon Rebel XSi. Any awesome tips, I would appreciate.

-Christopher

Oh man, if only I had an XSi, I cold take some good photos. Dreaming here.;) I have a Canon S5 IS (point & shoot). However, how I manage to get shots like the one above & below is to back off & zoom in for the shot. Try it & see if it works for you.

frogsm.jpg

Wow! You took those with a point and shoot!!! Actually that is not a surprise. An S5 IS is a high end point and shoot. You can take photography with about any camera, but your images are so sharp and clear!! I can't believe that frog you took! I also have a Canon powershot G9 that I keep in the same bag with my XSi. I love my G9. The S5 IS is not much different than a G9. Only the style of the camera. All great cameras!

-Christopher

-Christopher
There's really nothing "cheap" about the Canon kit lenses.

In principle, to increase the depth of field (how much of the image is in focus, front to back, as it were), you have to reduce the aperature... set a higher f-stop number. Now, there's a tradeoff. When you have a smaller aperture, less light reaches the film (sensor)... so you have to have a longer shutter speed... in order to properly expose the film (or get a correctly exposed digital image).

But remember "camera shake." If your shutter speed becomes too long, the image will blur from camera shake. So how do we deal with that? We use faster film... film that takes less light to make the same exposure.

Digital cameras today let us pick the "film speed" to us... the ISO number. The higher the number, the "faster" the film (sensor).

So your image would benefit from a smaller aperature (higher f-stop number). That may require a slower shutter speed... and might even require moving to a higher ISO number (faster film).

Hmmmmmm This is good stuff!!! I still need to read up on that. I know there are some many different settings on my camera that I fool with, but I don't know which ones they are. I know about the ISO though because it even says ISO, but I just keep getting a a bit confused on what the F-Stop, Aperture, shutter speeds and such.

-Christopher

Hmmmmmm This is good stuff!!! I still need to read up on that. I know there are some many different settings on my camera that I fool with, but I don't know which ones they are. I know about the ISO though because it even says ISO, but I just keep getting a a bit confused on what the F-Stop, Aperture, shutter speeds and such.

-Christopher
The f-stop *is* the aperture. Higher f-stop number means smaller aperture, and more depth of field.

For the image of the 'shroom, you'd probably want to be in Aperture Priority mode... Av on my Canon Rebel XS... set the aperture to increasingly higher numbers, and let the camera decide on the shutter speed and ISO setting... keep taking photos as you decrease the aperture (set higher numbers... it's somewhat non-intuitive), and compare each once you get back to the computer.

I'd meant to mention bracketing... or taking photos at the camera's suggested exposure, and then forcing it to both lower and higher exposure settings. This is pretty easy to do with a static subject, rarely possible with things like sports photography, and sometimes doable with just portrait type subjects.

Good explanation by kn4ds. I am a one finger hunt & pec guy so my posts are terse.

I am pleased with the quality pics I get from the S5. Here is a tighter crop of the SAME frog pic as before that was taken from a distance of about 6'.

frogcrop.jpg

-Christopher

You'll get it soon enough. Just read up on it and apply it right away and youll remember. FYI - F-Stop is the same as aperture which is what controls Depth of Field. Shutter speed has more to do with light (but so does aperture in combination with shutter speed and ISO). it gets easier...

Hmm I will play with that. Yeah it's funny because I will play with some of the modes like the "P" mode and "TV" mode. I have played with "AV" once or twice, and would adjust things, but yet didn't really know what I was doing or didn't know what they are and what they did rather, but I would play until I get a good image. So this gives me a better idea so I will try some things tomorrow using "AV" mode. Thanks again!

-Christopher

That Frog pic is really clear! That S5 IS is a really good camera! I bet you have a lot of fun with that!

Also keep in mind that if you're closing up the aperture to increase your depth of field, thus requiring you to slow down the shutter and/or increase ISO, camera shake can be much more noticeable... So you might need a tripod as well.

Hmm I will play with that. Yeah it's funny because I will play with some of the modes like the "P" mode and "TV" mode. I have played with "AV" once or twice, and would adjust things, but yet didn't really know what I was doing or didn't know what they are and what they did rather, but I would play until I get a good image. So this gives me a better idea so I will try some things tomorrow using "AV" mode. Thanks again!

-Christopher
You'll learn... and the absolute best way to learn is to shoot the same image using the various modes and settings on your camera. That way you get ideas of what the rig can do, and what you need for various lighting conditions, etc. to achieve the image you want.

Also, always remember that photography is art. Sure, there's some "science" to it... learning about exposure, composition and depth of field... but at the end of the day... the only opinion of an image that really counts is your own. If you like the image... then it's a good image. Regardless of what someone else thinks.

Yeah it is great and wonderful to have critiques done, but I agree with you. It is an art, and it is all about what the photographer is wanting to achieve. It's still helps direction to here what pleases some people and what does not.

I actually like my depth of field on my shroom pics, but still having them sharp all the way around I think would be an awesome twist too. I still need better direction with the depth of field in these two photos though so I will still play more with the aperture settings.

This is all good stuff!

-Christopher

Most reactions

Back