C&C my first B&W

Sqiud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there. This is the first time I've processed a RAW file, and my first B&W photo. I'm not too impressed with the shot, but I'd love some constructive criticism.

Walden_pond_by_Squidpaints.jpg

Shame, the entire pond has wire fencing around it, excluding a few spots here and there where you can stand on rocks and get your shoes wet. The sky was rather boring most of the day too. :\

anywho, thanks for the comments and suggestions!

So is that water? I thnk you lose that with BW

nice detail, but it seems to lack intrest, no real focal point, my eyes just sort of roam around looking for something

I agree with Hooker771.
If you aimed down a bit more, it would help capture more of the water.

Here's a quick edit I did. I cropped the top so the eyes focus towards the bottom of the pic rather than the sky.
4143564624_f5f8a1e2a1_o.jpg

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the water off tilt?
Also Timothy is right I am looking for a subject but can't find any

Would've liked to see this in color.

The photo lack a focal point and the B&W lacks a lil bit of contrast
So what I did was to find a interesting subject in the picture,which I thought was the cloud formation,so I did a 1x3 panoroma crop and played with curves to give it more contrast
4143221645_b1f7d04a61.jpg

The lost of details at the bottom left was quite sad,but I think the high resolution version might solve it

oh, those crops are way better.

I'll focus more on contrasts now. I was afraid of overdoing the contrast but that panorama looks awesome.

One problem I saw when I was developing them, was, when I made the trees very dark, and the sky lighter, the trees had a white aura around them? (where the sky and the trees meet)

is there some way to fix that while developing or do I need to hit it with a brush in photoshop?

oh, those crops are way better.

I'll focus more on contrasts now. I was afraid of overdoing the contrast but that panorama looks awesome.

One problem I saw when I was developing them, was, when I made the trees very dark, and the sky lighter, the trees had a white aura around them? (where the sky and the trees meet)

is there some way to fix that while developing or do I need to hit it with a brush in photoshop?

that's called haloing,often happens if you've overdone your HDRs.But I'm sorry I don't know how to fix it.But the name is called haloing,maybe that can help you find your answers in google

Oh thank you!! Haloing... I'll read more on it. That helps a lot :)

Most reactions

Back