C+C my first posed portrait and editting please

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is Ember, she is my photography guinea pig.

We planned to go to a local nature park at 4pm-I thought this would be late enough to give me some nice light, as it turned out the sun was still high in the sky and I was fighting a loosing battle against harsh light and shadows.

I used my flash (as you can see from the reflections in the eyes:confused:) and even though I found it hard -I have no external flash or reflectors yet, I tried my best.

I applied her makeup, after reading on here, it is good to have a good makeup base to help the skin look good in pictures-I don't wear much makeup myself, so it was interesting giving her a mini make over, I watched some tutorials on you tube first LOL

How can I improve my edit? Im still at the stage where I find it hard to know when to stop, (or even where to start) What can I do about the reflection in her eyes?
I have lots more pictures to edit so tips would be welcome, also advise on composition etc would be good too.

Oh and I do have some pictures where she isnt looking so serious, and some that were taken in the shade. Ill post them too, but a bit later :)

Exif Canon 30d, Canon 50mm 1.8, shutter speed 1/160, Apature f11, ISO 100 and Flash used. edited with photoshop elements 4

this is the editied version:

2548844173_2f3b571caa_b.jpg

and the original, I did do quite alot of cloning! and healing, I wanted to keep her skin lookimg textured.

2549672838_045b376378_b.jpg

For some reason... She just doesnt seem to fit her background and I'm not real sure why.

Also to me.. it seems a bit under exposed and could probably use some contrast added to it.

For some reason... She just doesnt seem to fit her background and I'm not real sure why.

Also to me.. it seems a bit under exposed and could probably use some contrast added to it.

doh on my uncalibrated monitor I thought I was almost over exposing-I cant wait to save up cash for all the things i need, including calibration softwear!

Nice job in PP her face. It looks good.

For the other stuff... The pinhole in her eye gives away the flash and is unflattering. You could have taken a homemade reflector for some fill flash. I always shoot in the shade. Its the best natural ambient light without casting shadows anywhere. To fill in the face you can place a homemade refelctor to the bottom in front of her (just google to see how to make one)

I agree. Was the bokeh added in photoshop? Or was the subject only sharpened in post?

Nice job in PP her face. It looks good.

For the other stuff... The pinhole in her eye gives away the flash and is unflattering. You could have taken a homemade reflector for some fill flash. I always shoot in the shade. Its the best natural ambient light without casting shadows anywhere. To fill in the face you can place a homemade refelctor to the bottom in front of her (just google to see how to make one)

I agree the onboard flash was harsh and that a reflector or off camera flash would have been better.
I disagree about shade being the best ambient light. Shade is not harsh light if that's what you meant. Shade also tends to cool colors down. Diffused lighting is the best (overcast days).

You can shoot portraits on sunny days. You just have to know when and how ;)

wow... she really looks disconnected from the background... trippy.. lol

too much head space, for me. try recomposing/cropping with her eyes in the top third of the picture.

is it possible stands out/looks placed because I used the flash to light the shadows on her face.

Here is one of the pictures I took in the shade I think it looks more connected, what do you think?
2546417289_2b179b244c_b.jpg

Thanks for the advice-keep it up :) its so helpful, Its nice to get the advice on the reflecting etc as I have no idea-deffinaly googling home made reflectors - thanks

I agree. Was the bokeh added in photoshop? Or was the subject only sharpened in post?

nope the second pic under neath is out of the camera (apart from adjustments in RAW)

wow... she really looks disconnected from the background... trippy.. lol

too much head space, for me. try recomposing/cropping with her eyes in the top third of the picture.

I had been editing her other pictures quite tight crops, so I tought i would try and incoperate the bg a bit, but i agree a bit to much space above the head

Here is the way I would have gone. Forgive the photoshop, I did this quick on my laptop.

hoe colour on it seemed a bit off.

10904-2549672838_045b376378_bcopy.jpg

Speed trap would you mind telling me roughly what you did, did you do contrast and something to the eyes, its very different and good

Well, I started by
1) doing a colour correction and adjusted levels
2) 2nd created a skin softening layer applied a Gaussian blur and layer masked everything but her skin, then merged the layers.
3) Applied an unsharp mask to the eyes
4) Cloned out the fly away hair.

I did do a bit of cloning and blemish removal but that was most of it.

second one is fine....being really super picky i'd ask if that was bird poo on her skirt though. :) ( bottom left) haha

that first shot is really freaky! :) Looks like the background you'd find hanging at your local jr. high yearbook shoot! :)

live and learn.( and I'm talkin' about me here - i learn so much from everyone's bravery in posting their photos)

the second one is very nice!

lol at bird poo comment probably should clone the white out-its actually a swirly white pattern on the skirt

Ok here is my second attempt using Speed traps recomendations, I did leave the skin as it was, but adjusted the colour and sharpened the eyes some more-how does it look? this is such a great learning experience THANK YOU

2550078024_0007e17f57_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back