C&C: New Photographer Making Progress?

DustinB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm semi new to photography. Got my first DSLR about 3 years ago(D90), but didn't do much more than get a macro lens and take pictures of my saltwater fish/coral tanks. Upgraded to a D7100 and purchased a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, studio strobe setup with softboxes, triggers, etc... Decided to start getting more into this hobby of mine and trying to get those amazing shots. Been reading a lot, watching videos, and playing around. This is just a hobby I have interest in, I'm not planning to do this professionally in the foreseeable future.

I am having a bit of trouble with the artistic side, but I am starting to be able to see and understand some things about composition. I'm a very heavily technical person with hardly any artistic skills, sometimes its hard for me to see the visual aspects of subtle differences, my brain just doesn't want to work that way naturally.

Anyway, to the point of this thread, I felt it was about time to seek some input on my progress. I'll try to describe what I was going for and how I did it, any critiques would be appreciated.

(1) - Let's start with the self portrait. I was basically just going for something decent that didn't look to awkward, huge goal right. This was lit with 2 strobes(24x36 softboxes), camera left and right about 2 feet from me at about 45 degrees, large white reflector on my lap. Also had a shoot through umbrella with an sb-910 just in front of the camera, above me pointing down at 45 degrees. PP in lightroom to adjust contrast.
My thoughts: Overall I think I did ok. I think I could have done better using a hair light to make it pop a bit more.
Nikon D7100 - Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro @ f/8 - 1/200sec - ISO 100
LightingTests-2 by dbphoto82, on Flickr

(2) - For the second test I used the same lighting setup, just varied the exposure. Trying to go for the smooth clean beauty look with a light setup similar to what Joel Grimes does. PP in lightroom to correct blemishes, slightly smooth the skin, and make the eyes pop a bit.
My thoughts: Overall I think this one came out ok as well, not overly happy with the expression but it seems to work. I was disappointed that I couldn't get the light to smooth the skin out like Joel Grimes does without blowing out the highlights, I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if the shoot through umbrella was not up to the task.
Nikon D7100 - Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro @ f/8 - 1/200sec - ISO 100
LightingTests-1 by dbphoto82, on Flickr

(3) - This was on a recent trip to see family in another state. Someone saw I brought my camera with me and wanted some pictures of family. Decided to try and get some decent photos for them. Lighting was a shoot through umbrella with an sb-910. Setup camera right, 45 degrees and 3 feet from the subject. Flash set to TTL. These shots were on a whim without much equipment or thought into doing a portrait session. PP in lightroom to correct blemishes, standard things, etc...
My thoughts: I think this was the best shot of the set, I know its not the best quality but I am pleased with how it came out. I think a reflector would have helped drastically.
Nikon D7100 - Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 @ 44mm - f/4.5 - 1/100sec - ISO 100
Tennessee082014-19 by dbphoto82, on Flickr

(4) This was just a generic snap shot with the sb-910 on camera with the plastic snap on diffuser. For the life of me I can't remember if I had the flash pointed straight at the subject or if I bounced it off the ceiling.
My thoughts: I think its an ok image. PP in lightroom for heavy contrast, sharpness, and clarity. Very faint split tone with only one skin type color.

Edit: Just noticed the shadow on the wall. Apparently this was one of the shots where I had someone hold the flash camera left.

Nikon D7100 - Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 @ 55mm - f/4.5 - 1/100sec - ISO 100
Tennessee082014-25 by dbphoto82, on Flickr

Last edited:
C&C per req:

1. Not bad; nice expression, decent lighting. I think you could have stood to drop your key 1/3 stop and your fill 1/2 stop for a little more detail in the highlight areas and a bit more interest in the shadows, but overall it works.

2. I'm guessing here that your lights were too far away. For a shot like this, I am often working with the umbrella/SB/BD less than 3' from the model, and it's not uncommon for me to actually crop edges of my large SB out of the frame. I think the work on the eyes is just a bit overdone, but other than, not bad.

3. I think you pretty much nailed this oen. My only niggle is that it's slightly under-exposed (easily corrected in post) and that the shadows on the [imgage] left side of his face are just a bit too deep for my taste. Pose, expression... great!

4. I very much like this image, but the processing is not to my taste; I see this as a very rich monochrome. I'd also prefer that he'd been looking a bit more in the camera's direction, but it's a good image nonetheless.

Overall, I'd say you're doing well; the images all show a great deal of thought and care. I'm in the same boat as you; my strengths lie much more in the technical then the artistic.

Just my $00.02 worth - YMMV

~John

Great feedback! Thanks, very much appreciated.

I don't have time for all 4, but ill bite on pic 1&4.

Was cutting the top of your head off intentional in #1? To me it looks evenly lit and well exposed- with the exception being your hair you alread mentioned; it fades into black on over your left ear.

4. I hate the shadow showed up here; I like the image otherwise. The PP of it makes this fella look weathered and worn; like he's been working hard all his life. *artistically* I like it; and can't offer much more technical advice other than that nasty shadow

With #1 I cropped the top of my head off because of the same hair issue, just fades to black.

Thanks guys.

With #1 I cropped the top of my head off because of the same hair issue, just fades to black.

Thanks guys.
Ok I can see where that could happen. Could you raise on of your flashes up some more maybe?

I agree with what John said and will add:

#1 - His head tilted to his low shoulder is considered a feminine pose.
#2 - Her right cheek, forehead, inside of her right eye socket/bridge of nose, and nose have blown out hot spots.

#3. - One of my big beefs with LR Develop module is that the spot RGB values are given as percentages rather than using a 0-255 scale.
Percentages (w/no decimal point) only allow for 100 values instead of 256 values the 0-255 scale provides.
LR Develop module and Photoshop Camera Raw are essentially the same software but with some differences. Camera Raw shows spot RGB vales on a 0-255 scale.

For the purposes of measuring the exposure of Caucasian skin highlights it was established long ago that values in the Red channel of 235 to 240 are the standard.

#4 - Again the head position angled to the low shoulder, just not as much of an angle. I rarely let clients eyes be all the way to one side or the other such that the sclera (eye white) was visible on only one side of their iris. If i want that angle of the eye to the camera that oblique I would have had the gentleman rotate his head some to his left while keeping his eyes on whatever he was looking at until enough sclera appeared on the left side of his iris.

Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop (Voices That Matter)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
All but the last one are framed too low, cropping parts of heads, not leaving enough room at the top.

The lighting for #1 is VERY even and almost completely flat. Try some variation in your lighting.

#3 is a good one-light setup for lighting a young man, but could have used a reflector on the right.

#4 Yes, your flash was pointed straight at him.

Most reactions

Back