C&C Old Industrial Area

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Came across this today, more or less vacant industrial property. Tried to "enhance" the emptiness. What I like most is the sign, main entrance. I bet the secondary entrances would be even more interesting.

4178839291_40664b9772_b.jpg

Very underexposed with little tonal range. I LOVE abandoned/derelict industial type stuff so this subject matter is something I'm a huge fan of. I like the composition, with the poles, wires, and fence framing the building and the building being off center.

If you can correct the technical flaws in the exposure, this would be a MUCH more interesting image. I like what you're looking at, though!

Looks more like a snapshot.

Thought I'd play around with it a bit. Changed hue-saturation-lightness by 25/15/-5 and then added a semblance of a brown wood frame, then scaled down for easier viewing and faster image loading.

4178839291_40664b9772_bd.jpg

Probably should have left it lighter, but felt it better with a bit of a dark theme overall.

I must not be getting the concept of "flat". Most of the feedback received on all my posts, get the same C&C, "seems flat". What techniques can be applied, pre or post to correct? Can anyone post examples of outside scenery (non hdr) that are not flat?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the feedback.

Would these also be considered flat? They were taken on the same outing, very cloudy and cold morning.

4178840789_bdc5ce1e95_b.jpg

4179597442_3d1a6125d7_b.jpg

The first seems flat to me, again. The second, is much better.
To me it just looks like (in the first) all the tones are similar. Like in Lightroom, if you increased the fill light and recovery. In this one the reds are coming forward and the bridge seems to receed. Everything visually seems to be on the same plane. My first thought for the original post and this 1st one was faeux HDR/tonemapping.

The original posted pic...the truck and building again, seem on the same plane. Whether it is a lack of anything to give perspective, or tonal similarity...
Lights advance, darks receed...Example, the truck is the same color as the sky, putting them on the same plane.

But I see too it's a very cloudy day, which would create very even, flat light.
Hope that helps. It's the best way I can describe it.

This photo would be good for HDR

Thanks Jeweler,

"Lights advance, darks receed...Example, the truck is the same color as the sky, putting them on the same plane." this helps a great deal. I guess in the back of my mind I knew this, but when behind the camera I forget it. None of the photos were faux HDR, or at least that wasnt my intent. All three had a few adjsutments in LR, but nothing major. Im trying to let the camera do the bulk of the work.

Most reactions

Back