C&C on a Newbiiiie!

Lynnzora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I've been practicing with my Pentax k20d. Still new but getting out there. I'd love to hear your suggestions on what I should do to make the pictures better though. I noticed that the 15-55mm lens performs better out doors... How would the 100mm prime lens do in doors and for headshots and poetry??? Anyone use that lens? I think I might get that one next. Anyway, thanks in advance for your comments.

Camera3148.jpg

Camera3129.jpg

#3.
Camera3056.jpg

#4.
Camera3164.jpg

I'm not a fan of the composition of these, but I think you are pretty much nailing down focus, sharpness and exposure.

1 and 2, I find there is too much else going on in the backgrounds.
1- has a really dark area where the child's hair is which. And there is the blue spot to the right of the man's head that is distracting as it makes the background not consistent
2- has the car in back which makes the picture look a bit snapshot ish and I find the subject is too centered. Amazing expression on the kid's face though, it made me smile.

3- seems that you have your focus set on the index finger on the left hand side when it should of been on the mixing of fingers in the middle of the picture. Great intent though, and nice composition, but would of been a bit better if the focus area was on the important part of the picture.

4- I kinda like this one. While the subject matter is a bit blah, I like the composition, focus, dop and such. The only thing that irks me is the stem of the leaf propping up towards the camera

Just my thoughts. Overall, really nice job getting these shots. I remember your first set you posted and these are definatly better

Thanks. That's a helpful critique... I have been putting a lot of energy into focus, etc... Now you're saying to work on the composition. Will do. The blue to the right in the first picture is the sky but I can see how it can be distracting.

So now I'd like to have a lens that will work well inside (low light) as well, and that can do excellet portraits, modeling photos, etc... The next lens I was thinking about was the 100mm prime lens. Is this a good one? Should I get a 50mm instead...

Thanks. That's a helpful critique... I have been putting a lot of energy into focus, etc... Now you're saying to work on the composition. Will do. The blue to the right in the first picture is the sky but I can see how it can be distracting.

So now I'd like to have a lens that will work well inside (low light) as well, and that can do excellet portraits, modeling photos, etc... The next lens I was thinking about was the 100mm prime lens. Is this a good one? Should I get a 50mm instead...

I'm by far a professional, so take it all with a grain of salt :)

As for the lens, depends on what type of camera you are shooting with and what your budget is. Nothing better for the price in low light than a 50mm 1.8. And on a crop sensor camera, makes a good lenght for portraits. If you have more of a budget, you can look at the 50mm 1.4, or even a standard zoom with a constant aperture of 2.8

I don't know many people with a 100mm prime, so I can't really comment on the quality. And it also depends on what brand you are looking at... canon, nikon, sigma, tamron,...

The cheapest option to a good fast lens for Pentax owners is the Pentax KA fit f1.7 50mm lens. You can pick them up cheaply. You can also use a Pentax K fit but the KA is easier to use.

(K lenses don't work in shutter priority or program modes and on the K20D you have to use them in manual mode with an exposure guide, KA will work fine in any mode. The manual mode on K lenses isn't a problem really just adds a little more to setting up the camera)

Other lenses that are pretty good are :-

Pentax smc DA 70mm f2.4 Limited Lens - compact reasonably quick lens with a good focal length.
Pentax smc DA 40mm f2.8 Limited Lens - Good reputation, TINY lens. Little on the slow side but good lens all the same.
Pentax smc FA 77 mm f1.8 Limited Lens - Very nice, well made lens.. but not cheap.
Pentax smc FA 43 mm f1.9 Limited Lens - Very nice, well made lens.. but not cheap.

All would be good choices, personally I want a FA 43mm but that's cos it's silver and matches my K200D.

There is also a Pentax smc DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro Lens which has the added benefit of Macro capability but it slower than the above list.

Cute!

I think #1 would have been a little better if you had gotten more DOF by using a larger aperture (smaller f # than f/11 used in the photo). Nothing really interesting back there and it draws away from the kido.

Cute!

I think #1 would have been a little better if you had gotten more DOF by using a larger aperture (smaller f # than f/11 used in the photo). Nothing really interesting back there and it draws away from the kido.

Ok I'll try that... I was trying not to cut off his dad's head lol. Would that also be distracting. Or not because the main focus is the baby?

The cheapest option to a good fast lens for Pentax owners is the Pentax KA fit f1.7 50mm lens. You can pick them up cheaply. You can also use a Pentax K fit but the KA is easier to use.

(K lenses don't work in shutter priority or program modes and on the K20D you have to use them in manual mode with an exposure guide, KA will work fine in any mode. The manual mode on K lenses isn't a problem really just adds a little more to setting up the camera)

Other lenses that are pretty good are :-

Pentax smc DA 70mm f2.4 Limited Lens - compact reasonably quick lens with a good focal length.
Pentax smc DA 40mm f2.8 Limited Lens - Good reputation, TINY lens. Little on the slow side but good lens all the same.
Pentax smc FA 77 mm f1.8 Limited Lens - Very nice, well made lens.. but not cheap.
Pentax smc FA 43 mm f1.9 Limited Lens - Very nice, well made lens.. but not cheap.

All would be good choices, personally I want a FA 43mm but that's cos it's silver and matches my K200D.

There is also a Pentax smc DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro Lens which has the added benefit of Macro capability but it slower than the above list.

Thanks for answering the lens question. I'm really confused on which lens to by next... It definitely needs to perform better in low light than the 15-55mm I also heard that the 100mm is better than the 50mm. I might just check out the 50mm first... Mannn finding the right lens isn't easy.

Thanks for answering the lens question. I'm really confused on which lens to by next... It definitely needs to perform better in low light than the 15-55mm I also heard that the 100mm is better than the 50mm. I might just check out the 50mm first... Mannn finding the right lens isn't easy.

Depends what you need. For all round use a 40-50mm lens is a good choice. 20 years ago a common setup was a 28mm wide angle, 50mm, 70-210 zoom. These days the 50mm ( in pentax case the very same lens - plus it's AF derivatives ) f1.7 is still much in demand which seems to show that it's a good choice. In my experience I find 50mmish is my most popular focal length.

Depends what you need. For all round use a 40-50mm lens is a good choice. 20 years ago a common setup was a 28mm wide angle, 50mm, 70-210 zoom. These days the 50mm ( in pentax case the very same lens - plus it's AF derivatives ) f1.7 is still much in demand which seems to show that it's a good choice. In my experience I find 50mmish is my most popular focal length.

You know what I decided that the next purchase will be the 50mm prime lens... That's one lens that gets great reviews no matter what camera people are using... Then I'll look at getting some lighting. Do you think I can get the lighting I need for $300??? Which one is better... the one that is continous lighting or the one that flashes. I believe I asked this question before but didn't get an answer.

You know, when it comes to a lens... rignt now, the most I'd pay for one is $500... If I had to choose from two lenses... I would get the more expensive one if it delivered a superior image.... ummm and was no more than $500! lol :) So knowing that... In addition to to 50mm... Any suggestions...

Lens wise the 50mm second hand option is easilly the most ecomonical and definatly a superior option to the kit lens.

Lighting wise, I use two second hand flash guns ( Nikon SB20 although 24 and 26 are better choices ) which can be got second hand for probably about $100. Then you can get umbrellas, light stands, remote triggers and the adapters to mount an umbrella on a light stand for probably about another $100.

While I like all your photos, I think I'm more disappointed in #1. That one had a lot of potential. I love the look on the little child's face as opposed to dad(?). Looks like a "showdown" between daddy and his pride and joy.

Most reactions

Back