C&C One picture, 2 versions

Turnerea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently took this picture while out on a hike near sundown. Was wondering if people had comments on which version they like. I like how the subject pops out in the first one, but I feel like you loose something with having the tree in the background so OOF.

Would appreciate any comments... thanks!

3522466201_675ed1265f.jpg

3523272754_f44cce742d.jpg

I like them both, but what if you tried cropping so that the subject would be positioned according to the rule of thirds?

The Greeks were on to something when they discovered that rule...

I like them both, I think I am drawn towards the second picture more.

marc - I hate to ask(I am a noob, I'll admit it) - what do you mean by rule of thirds?

I agree that the second one should be cropped more so that the flower fills the photo more and it follows the Rule of Thirds. :)

Rule of Thirds !

Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I consider myself pretty noob too. But somehow, I've always had the Rule of Thirds in me.

Well, except for panoramic pictures... that's a different game altogether.

Cheers.

PS: Some point and shoot cameras have a "grid" feature which overlays a grid with the image on the viewfinder screen. That's what it's for.

I like them both, I think I am drawn towards the second picture more.

marc - I hate to ask(I am a noob, I'll admit it) - what do you mean by rule of thirds?

Imagine dividing your picture into 1/3rd sections and then place your subject 1/3rd away from the sides, either left or right, its your choice.

Most photo editing software will show you where the 'thirds' are and you can crop your photo so the subject is placed on the 'rule of thirds' line.

Hope that helps.

I'd like to see the picture turned to a portrait instead of landscape. The dark tree in the background does seem to draw my eye away from the flower.

Nice color and other than framing, it looks good.

thanks for the comments

I will try moving to portrait... I think I'm going to go with the 'blurry background' one with the wide open aperture... I think enough of the form of hte background is visible that it's still a good composition.

Thanks,
Erik

Not a pro but i like the second picture... but to me it looks like the lighting is off as far as it looks like your taking a picture with the sun behind the subject. even though the tree is covering it seems to take away from the picture

i prefer the first one. i agree with skedaddle you should crop it so that just the flower fills the whole picture

Most reactions

Back