C&C our puppy shot (and a couple more)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by matt62485, Jan 10, 2010.

1. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Had the camera out today while the pups were playing and caught this one of the miniature dapple dachshund i got my fiance for her bday.

the others are of my buddies car he wanted me to get some pix of he's trying to sell. kinda noisy from the PP :thumbdown:

btw, fastest damn car i've ridden in... and i've been in some fast cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LMAO! one for fun!

[​IMG]

3. viventi

viventi TPF Noob!

that pup is adorable. great shots.

4. GFreg

GFreg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hahaha. Nobody will believe your buddy if he uses those pictures to sell his car. They are too good. People want crappy P&S shots that aren't composed and have no artistic merit when they are looking to buy a car.

Seriously though, nice shots and cute dog.

Edit: Sorry, just saw you are looking for C&C. Honestly I'm too tired and my eyes are shot from a long day. They look good to me though. I will check this thread out again tomorrow.

5. LagunaLab

LagunaLab TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cute dog!

So, I am very new to this forum, but already loving it. That's my "disclaimer", I am not used to commenting on others shots but here's what goes through my mind as I look at your pictures:

Puppy shots: Why is the puppy all the way to the right in the frame? The shot where the puppy is looking to the right, I would have cropped the frame such that the dog looked into the rest of the picture, not out of it.

Car shots: I like the light, color and the reflections in the paint, especially the shot where the blue sky reflects in the black paint. I realize that you have to work with what is available and within the realm of possibility, but the background (concrete wall / barrier / edge) kinda bothers me, it takes attention away from the car (well, to me at least, lol).

I _really_ like the closeup of the instrument cluster. I like the framing and the focus on the boost gauge and the tach and speedometer being blurred out. To me, it says "power". Looks like it's taken right out of an ad for the car.

So, I hope I haven't been too "harsh" - that was not the intention, just thinking out loud.

:)

6. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

thanks! they aren't perfect but i think they came out well. black cars are a PITA

Thanks! I was trying to follow some basic composition rules when shooting the puppy. I had it on continuous and shooting her as she was playing around, the one where she is sticking out her tongue was just for fun. I was framing in the camera for the first shot, but happened to catch the funny one so there was nothing in the right to crop out :lol: plus, where she was looking was a bunch of uninteresting bushes and such, wouldve been distracting imho. :confused:

as far as the car is concerned, i was trying to find a spot that would have a less of affect on paint reflections, and these worked out the best we could quickly access before dark. i wish the wall wouldve been a couple feet taller, so the line wouldnt be there. honestly, i kinda like the last one for some reason.

thanks for the comments and critique :mrgreen::thumbup:

7. transformed

transformed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why do people insist on posting these freaking cute puppies? It makes me want to run out and buy more dogs! MUST resist.... MUST resist....

That dog is adorable. I would have definitely bumped up the color in the grass- and maybe upped the blacks.

8. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hahah thanks!

well, i bumped the color up a little and it was oversaturated. the grass is all dead around here. you can notice the only green is the weeds. :thumbup:

actually none of her fur is really black either ;)

9. GFreg

GFreg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you did a great job off handling the reflections in the car. I have a black car and I know exactly what you mean. The shots of the dog are nice although the light seems very harsh. I probably would have shot earlier or later in the day, but that's not always an option.

10. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks. yea, wasn't an option lol. is it that harsh?

11. GFreg

GFreg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well the pictures came out fine but the shadows are really dark, imo. There aren't many, but the shadow under the chin on the dog stand out to me.

12. mom2eight

mom2eight TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No 2. is creative and really well thought out. It really does look like something from a magazine.