C&C please ;) 50mm 1.4

P.S. Thanks for the White Balance info. I'm aware of that... just still learning the terminology and didn't really see that issue initially with this photo.

Hi. I'll try and add something that hasn't been said in regard to photo #2. If you are going to shoot someone looking away, maybe try and tell the story. What are they looking at? Is she looking at something beautiful/compelling? or is she looking at something boring, and she is just completely wrapped up in her own thoughts. The last one you posted separately is nice. If you go back and shoot there again, I think the leading lines of the sidewalk could be a more important element of the photo. Moving around a bit and re-composing like an earlier poster mentioned may yield more dramatic results. Nice photos.
Jason

Quite frankly people have approached me liking what they have seen and wanting to pay me to do birthday parties, portfolio pics, etc

I stopped reading here.

I don't know you, and i'm not going to critique your photos since I'm not that great, but you'd be surprised what people that know nothing about photography will pay for. My mom was showing me her wedding photos the other day, and most of them were out of focus, or focused on the background rather than the subject.

Hi. I'll try and add something that hasn't been said in regard to photo #2. If you are going to shoot someone looking away, maybe try and tell the story. What are they looking at? Is she looking at something beautiful/compelling? or is she looking at something boring, and she is just completely wrapped up in her own thoughts. The last one you posted separately is nice. If you go back and shoot there again, I think the leading lines of the sidewalk could be a more important element of the photo. Moving around a bit and re-composing like an earlier poster mentioned may yield more dramatic results. Nice photos.
Jason

Thanks. The second one I thought it would be more effective if I could get in closer and higher at an angle where we could see what she was looking at but it didn't work out. But she had climbed up on some rocks and there was no way I could get up there. But anyway, I get what you're saying about the storytelling through an image. Thanks.

I stopped reading here.

I don't know you, and i'm not going to critique your photos since I'm not that great, but you'd be surprised what people that know nothing about photography will pay for. My mom was showing me her wedding photos the other day, and most of them were out of focus, or focused on the background rather than the subject.

I stopped reading here.

Yep you're right. But that's why people have to do their research. I don't pay for anything unless I know what I'm getting first. Sometimes people will settle for a little less in the quality department if they're working with a lower budget. You can't buy clothes from the dollar store and be disappointed if they fall apart... or buy some of those generic batteries yet be shock when they run out of juice in 10 minutes. If someone is for example working with a budget of $300 for a wedding... they're not going to be able to get a seasoned pro but maybe someone newer to photography... maybe someone who is currently studying, etc...

By no means am I comparing myself to the Dollar Store or saying that I produce junk. Quite the contrary, I would never charge someone for something that wasn't quality and that they weren't happy with... and as long as they're happy, I'm happy.

Basically what I was saying that people have to start somewhere. Sitting in the corner with a photography book solely isn't going to turn you into a great photographer. You have to get out there and do it, read, take classes, research, etc... And while you're driving city to city from gig to gig, there's nothing wrong with asking for SOMETHING... gas isn't free, time is also valuable... lol And quite frankly as someone offering a free or discounted service, you have to worry about getting taken advantage of. I'm a very generous person and it will happen if you let it...

Anyway, what's wrong with the white balance in the pictures and how would I go about fixing it. Thanks.
I don't think this has been answered yet. I see you have PS, I just have Elements, but if you go to Enhance, Adjust Color, Remove Color Cast, then click on whatever "white" or "black" should be, it seems to do a pretty good job.

tt4.jpg

Now I don't mean to be rude when I say that I wish someone else commented on this. The info actually made sense... The WHITE BALANCE part anyway. If I listened to even half of the negativity that people sent my way, I wouldn't have accomplished HALF of the things that I have today.

I've heard more than a few people on this site tell a newbie that they have no business charging for a photo. I've shared my ambitions with people and have had them shot down. My opinion on this subject is that if you have a polaroid camera and want to charge a $1 per picture. :lol: That's up to you. As long as your potential customers know what they're getting ahead of time, that's all that matters. That's why you have a portfolio. If they like your work they'll use you. If they don't, they won't. What matters is that the consumer is happy.

Quite frankly people have approached me liking what they have seen and wanting to pay me to do birthday parties, portfolio pics, etc... What do I say? "Absolutely not! I have white balance issues!" :sexywink: And as a newbie does that mean my time is worthless? I have a family that I take myself away from to do photoshoots for other people. What about the cost of gas or dvds if I plan on burning images onto them for people... Or the time spent in photoshop, etc... My time might not be worth as much as someone has been shooting for 10+ years but it is worth something. Especially because I'm humble, willing to learn, take criticism (WHEN CONSTRUCTIVE) and most important bend over backwards to make sure the customer is happy.

For starters I wasnt being negative regarding the images in fact I said that I saw some improvement in my original post. However you were still having some focus and white balance issues.

As a newbie I wouldnt feel comfortable taking money from anyone without being able to promise decent, consistent results. I am not saying that you should forgo collecting on your cost but lets be honest about what your costs are here. A dvd or cd costs pennies now really. As far as time away from family for the shoot and in photoshop consider it an investment in yourself not a cost to the customer. Gas is an expence but one I wouldnt pass on to a customer as a beginner. Once you reach a point where you can deliver consistant results everytime thats when you become more of a photographer and should start charging in my opinion anyway.

The fourth photo (one with the sidewalk) would probably be pretty cool oriented in portrait rather than landscape. I'm pretty new to this, but have been trying to learn composition. Would be interesting to see what that shot looked like if you moved to the right a bit to get that sidewalk flowing toward the top of the picture and shot in portrait.

For starters I wasnt being negative regarding the images in fact I said that I saw some improvement in my original post. However you were still having some focus and white balance issues.

As a newbie I wouldnt feel comfortable taking money from anyone without being able to promise decent, consistent results. I am not saying that you should forgo collecting on your cost but lets be honest about what your costs are here. A dvd or cd costs pennies now really. As far as time away from family for the shoot and in photoshop consider it an investment in yourself not a cost to the customer. Gas is an expence but one I wouldnt pass on to a customer as a beginner. Once you reach a point where you can deliver consistant results everytime thats when you become more of a photographer and should start charging in my opinion anyway.

Yep sure, thanks.:sexywink:

Thanks. The second one I thought it would be more effective if I could get in closer and higher at an angle where we could see what she was looking at but it didn't work out. But she had climbed up on some rocks and there was no way I could get up there. But anyway, I get what you're saying about the storytelling through an image. Thanks.
You bet.

I don't think this has been answered yet. I see you have PS, I just have Elements, but if you go to Enhance, Adjust Color, Remove Color Cast, then click on whatever "white" or "black" should be, it seems to do a pretty good job.

tt4.jpg

You're right sir... It was sooo not answered. Well until now. Just got a lot of rants... Thank you for the constructive critique. It did make it a lot better.

Nice shots, especially #1. I can certainly see why you like this lens, and I'm happy to say you know how to use it. Most beginners would have shot them with too narrow a DOF.

Nice shots, especially #1. I can certainly see why you like this lens, and I'm happy to say you know how to use it. Most beginners would have shot them with too narrow a DOF.

Thank you I work day and night trying to get it where I need to be as a photog... It has been fun though. Just got my lighting eqipment in the mail yesterday. I'm excited!

What did you pick up for lighting equipment?

Just two umbrellas/lightstands with halogen lights and a backdrop. A cheap little deal from Cowboy Studios. It will hold me over until I get what I really want. I was thinking about the

QL 1000 3 soft box package with boom stand from tubetape.com

What I have will work for now until I can get the better equipment and enable me to work on my lighting for my portraits for now.

Most reactions

Back