(C&C Please) A few insects.

RalphP13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would really like some input please. Feel free to comment on any improvements or share any opinions.

This was an attempt at photographing some insects. They make for difficult subjects since most of them are always on the move.

Enjoy:

butterfly%20800.jpg

bee%20800.jpg

ladybug%20800.jpg

grasshopper%20800.jpg

Since I host from home, some of the images sometimes take a while to show up.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks, Ralph

#1. The blacks lose definition. Could be fixed in PP, I'm sure, especially if you shoot in RAW. Nice and sharp, although I don't really dig the perch. The almost-white underside of the leaf isn't that attractive to me, plus it covers part of the butterfly.

#2 is nice. Could probably use a little sharpening. Decent light, good color. Just run an unsharp mask over it (again if you already have).

#3. Not enough DoF. The reflection on the shell hurts this image. Not much to do but reshoot.

#4. Easily my favorite. Good use of DoF. Great color, good composition. Wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you very much Benlonghair.

Interestingly enough, number one and number three were the most active insects giving me the most problem with adjusting settings on-the-fly.

The butterfly just wouldn't cooperate. That was as good as it got.

I really liked the setting of the ladybug picture however it didn't stick around long enough to really get a great shot off. The depth of field did bother me on number three. Now that you mention the reflection, it's catching my eye too. That's one of those moments I wish I could get back.

Thanks, Ralph

If you look at my photostream, the first two are butterflies. The second one is the only one out of 200 that I took of that one insect that I liked. The first one is just illustrative for another thread talking about it's odd color.

That's one of those moments I wish I could get back.

This is why we keep shooting.

one and four are my favorite especially number four, I just think if the back legs were
in focus it would have looked better imo

four is awesome!

Wow. Four is so good! REALLY great. Everything's perfect. :D I love the colours.

Thank you for the comments.

Sounds like four is a winner.

I guess number one was more satisfying to me because of the effort. Imagine if you will, me running through a field chasing a butterfly with camera equipment dangling from my neck then trying to hold still as my legs quiver and I suck down oxygen. :lol:

I like the colors of number two, however, it's just a bee on a flower.

As I mentioned before, I like the setting of number three, however, just didn't have enough time to get the perfect shot off.
:gah:

Thanks again to everybody who commented.

Ralph

Most reactions

Back