c&c please...photoshoot from yesterday

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by swmocity, Oct 20, 2008.

1. swmocity

swmocity TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    C&C per req:

1. I'm assuming this was an ambient light exposure with a bright light image right. Unfortunately, it gives the subject a rather unpleasant appearance; rather "Phantom of the Opera". A diffuse fill-flash centre or image left would have helped greatly.

2. Much better expsoure here; still a bit harsh with the strong light image right. The empty area image left isn't helping. I would suggest cloning out the lights in the background as they're major distractions. Additionally, when posing, don't have elements leading out of the image such as her left arm. I think this image would be much stronger shot in portrait aspect with a tight bust crop.

3. Much more pleasing composition here, however the image is soft, and the subject is looking out of the image. While they don't have to look right down the lens, they should usually be looking in your direction.

4. Nice idea, and this is a case where having the subject not looking at the camera does work, however, the image needs to be levelled, and excess DoF has resulted in a sharp, distracting background.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

3. swmocity

swmocity TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    any tips on getting a level image?...thats a problem i have...and also #2 where u said it looked soft...what was the cause of that...if i sharpen it up in photoshop will that fix it?

4. eccs19

eccs19 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I get an image that's not level (and I do that often), I usually fix it afterwords in whatever software I'm using.

#2 being soft, I think your focus spot was a little closer than what the subject was. I'm judging this by the left side of the picture. The bench to the extreme left seems to be sharper, whereas the bench should be sharper closer to her.

5. swmocity

swmocity TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what sofware do u use...i tried using the straighten tool in photoshop...maybe im doing it wrong, because it looks the same to me

6. swmocity

swmocity TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    here is the ediy...

[​IMG]

7. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

In photoshop, I believe Control+R brings up the ruler. From there, you can more easily level the photograph. Those columns are very crooked. I would guess at least a 2 degree, clockwise rotration would be appropriate. If you want, I can give it a try after work tonight.

Another note that might be worth taking into consideration; perhaps you can ask your model to try on a different expression. Her expression in all the photos are a little plain and to be honest, a bit over used.

And that huge red signature... wait a minute, I think I've mentioned this before. Anways... that's just my 2 bit, newbie suggestions.

8. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Nothing to do with focus being off; it's camera shake. 1/100 of a second is generally about as low as you should go for portrait work. This will freeze any slight, unintended movement. Hand-holding below 1/30 of a second takes a great deal of practice.

9. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Could a lens with image stabilization have helped?

10. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That first one was creepy... you probably could have pushed it a bit and made it extremely creepy. Other than that, I generally agree with the comments already made.

11. TStorm

TStorm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think your photos have good ideas behind them but your model doesn't seem into the photos. She's lifeless in all 4 shots - no expression.

12. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Perhaps, but at those kinds of shutter speeds, you're going to get subject movement as well, blinks, hair blowing, etc, for which it will do nothing. Your best bet here would have been the use of fill light to increase the shutter speed.