C&C Please, trying to learn how to compose

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cyc, Aug 3, 2009.

1. cyc

cyc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all,

I took a few pics today and I'm unsure on how I could have composed them to make the picture look better. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance. :hugs:

Intention of this first image is to show how big the tree is by comparing with that sign on the bottom of the frame. I guess I should perhaps crop this pic to remove the distracting elements on the left side of the picture?
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to frame the picture with the trees. Unfortunately, I can't have the tree properly exposed. If I meter off the tree, the church will be overexposed. Any ideas? (Please note that I'm using a Point and Shoot with manual functions)
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to capture the viewer's attention to the open door. I feel somethings lacking in the picture and I'm not sure how I could have taken it differently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In the first, I've found that a more effective way to do such a comparison, in my opinion, is to get in close and shoot wide. Now, you are limited by the small sensor and so can't shoot very wide, but getting on the ground and shooting up with the sign in the foreground and the tree just behind can be more effective. As it is, it doesn't accomplish such a comparison, and it's also over exposed. Bump down exposure by (at least) a third of a stop in bright daylight to avoid blown highlights.

In the second, the obvious solution for me would be to blast the tree with flash. But...that won't work so well given that it's a P&S. You could try a tripod, take two very steady images exposed differently, shot a little wide, and then layer them in some sort of editing tool like Gimp or Photoshop to blend the exposures together.

In the third, what's missing is motion. Take three steps forward. Actually, take as many steps forward as you can until you feel something's missing. Then take the exposure. Sounds odd, but it works. Oh, and try different angles. Lots of different angles. You can quite often tell the pro or serious hobbyist from the amateur photog by the simple fact that they try shooting at as many angles as are available to them. They can sort-out later which composition worked the best (mind, this doesn't mean to ignore composition for each shot, but shooting the same subject at various angles can give you different perspectives and an entirely different feel for the image).

3. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Honestly, if you didn't say what your intention was I would have never known. One option would have been to get right up to the sign, sit on the ground and shoot up toward the top of the tree while including the sign in the picture. With that arrow pointing upward on the sign it would have made an interesting shot.
    Fill-flash might have helped...or forget the trees and just shoot the church.
    Really? Thought you were trying to show the whole entranceway.
    If you want to show the open door, get up close to the door. Would be nice if someone was standing at the door too.

Harsh time of the day to be shooting too...sunlight looks strong.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. cyc

cyc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks a lot for the comments, really appreciated. :thumbup:

I'll try to pass by when it's not raining (it's always raining this summer) and try to take those shots again.

5. Bee Bee

Bee Bee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the c&c you've been given already is spot on xxx