C&C please :-)

Juliette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I have decided I can't keep my images to myself only :)
I need some critique :) And I thank you all for your input
So I choose 3 B/W and 3 colour. They were taken with dSLR, thou I switched to film but I don't have my negatives on cd yet...

1. Entrance to my office
P6181261.jpg

2. My lovely cat
Picture160.jpg

3. While we were driving taxi
Picture107.jpg

4. My favorite park
Picture063.jpg

5. BB Kings
Picture039.jpg

6. Tomatoes
Picture027.jpg

Please be honest :) I won't cry :mrgreen:
Thank you !

I cant judge you because i am newbie to photography but the one with the cat is amazign!

I can't give you a direct critique, since I am rather new to the whole thing myself, but I can share opinions!

1) I love, and I do mean LOVE, the lighting and shadows in this one. I'm not sure there's anything that could be done to make that one any better!

2) Very cute picture, again nice lighting, but most of the cat seems slightly out of focus. It looks to me like maybe the focus point was on the carpet in front of the cat.

3) Very awesome, very moody. It almost makes me hear music in my head. Only thing I can say about this one is maybe to edit out what looks like chips in the windshield? Those are kind of distracting.

4) Very nice, warm colors in this one. Very comfortable feeling. Only thing I can say about this one is maybe it would've been better if most of the people had been facing you, rather than walking away.

5) Nice atmospheric picture, but if you could've gotten the same shot without the people on the right, and without the ladder, I think it would've been much stronger.

6) Not much I can say about this one. Still lifes of fruit and vegetables bore me to death. It looks to be a good picture, just not my thing personally.

Overall, VERY nice work I'd say though!

Your first one is my favourite. I love the lighting or lack of...totally wicked.

I like the mood of 1, but some might suggest you increase the contrast a bit. At some point on that image you want one pixel overexposed and one pixel absolutely black. (obviously you're not going to look for one pixel, but the point is cover the full dynamic range and see how that looks) I would also suggest straightening the picture as the leaning walls and whatnot are a bit distracting.

2 is cute, but the angle is distracting and as someone else pointed out, a lot of the cat is out of focus... in fact, all of it. It looks like your camera focused just in front of the cat by a few inches. (look at the texture of the rug) I think I might have tried to get more of the cats eyes into the shot, but you may not have had enough time. In general, a different angle on this might have been more interesting, but I still like the shot.

3 is kinda cool but underexposed, and the angle of the dashboard is a little distracting. (sensing a theme here, sorry) :) The buildings look semi-straight, so I'm wondering if the road was just angled like that? Not sure. Might have been more interesting to get the angle such that the crucifix and whatnot was more to the right, with more of the driver and wheel shown. Also looks like it may be out of focus, but I still think the shot itself is cool.

I really liked the color of the sun in 4, but the angle didn't do a heck of a lot for me. I think the same scene taken from a different position might have worked a bit better... maybe more to the left so both sides of the path would be visible, or more noticably to either side so it wasn't dead-center. It's fine, just wasn't exciting.

I looked at 5 a lot. I like elements of it, but it didn't totally work for me, but I couldn't tell you why. Maybe someone else... usually tirediron is 10 seconds behind me or ahead of me on these things, so he may have a good perspective. :)

Still lifes bore the tears out of me, so there's not much I can say here... doesn't mean it wasn't good, I just have no clue. :)

Thank you all for the time you took to post your opinions and advices. I appreciate it!
Have to say I didn't pay much attention to horizons or any lines for that matter. I feel its time to start :)

:)

...I looked at 5 a lot. I like elements of it, but it didn't totally work for me, but I couldn't tell you why. Maybe someone else... usually tirediron is 10 seconds behind me or ahead of me on these things, so he may have a good perspective. :)...

Geezzz dude, I have to eat supper some time...

Well, it looks like most of the points have already been covered. I'll add a couple of thoughts:

2. Watch your backgrounds. Given the surroundings, I think this would have been better shot from above. That would have reduced the needed DoF, kept the whole cat sharp, and avoided a cluttered background. As well, when doing B&W conversions, be cognizant of the tones of the image. In this case, because all of the background is a similar tone (even though the colours may vary widely) it's not ideally suited for a monochrome.

4. Nice lighting, but as Mannehiem indicated, not the ideal composition. I don't mind the 'central corridor' approach, I think it works well enough, but the problem is, all of the people are walking away from you. The fronts of people are almost always more interesting than the backs. In this case, you should have been where the white pole in centre background is, shooting toward the what is your foreground.

5. I'm afraid I get nothing out of this; there's simply too many elements and no main subject that I can discern. What was your intention with this image?

6. While not the most exciting still life, this one is fairly well executed. I think it needed just a hair more DoF as the furthest tomatoes seem a little soft, and a tighter crop to reduce the wasted foreground and empty wall areas would help. The lighting and exposure are acceptable.

It seems to me that you've got a good eye, it just needs a little training, and some better understanding of the basics; how your exposure functions interact, DoF, etc.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

....love 1 and 3, especially 1....color in 6 is fantastic....

Here goes:

#1: Good composition, slightly crooked. The home security thing detracts from the picture. (Favorite).

#2: Good, but something is missing. Don't know what.

#3: Don't really see the point.

#4: Seems way over-saturated. Either that or the sun was just very orange that day.

#5: Looks like nothing more than a snapshot.

#6: Second Favorite.

Thank you,
you all truly point things in these images that I had no idea matter or existed. It gives me a "better picture of taking picture".
Now, more I look at #5, more I see it myself - it is just a snapshot really ...

Most reactions

Back