SuperThinh12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thinhlephotos.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
2963274924_f763de6791.jpg

The downside of shooting with a fisheye or any wide glass is the extreme DoF. This would be a much stronger image were it shot with a shallower DoF, and thus isolating the subject from the rather uninteresting background.

It's a great shot. I'd be interested to know how this scene was lit though?

thanks, one flash behind infront of all the rails on full power. and another flash at 1/4 on the top of the rail that was held by my friend

i think in skating/blading pics like this shallow depth of field kind of defeats the purpose. in skating, you dont take pictures of things to isolate the subject, for artistic value most of the time. most of the time its about footage to show people.."hey! see that behind me? i just jumped/grinded/360 varial flipped it" it's a culture that prides itself on footage as proof. so the backdrop is often just as important as the subject.

+1 to that dionysus.... if i took a pic of someone griding down a 12 set rail, and messed up with BK with DOF, i would get shot.. extreme sports photography is all about getting your subject, AND their surroundings

ya..footage is everything..if theres no footage it didnt happen. so if you just did a gnarly trick off a 50 step set of stairs, you need to be able to see each and every single one of those 50 steps.

plus.. if he bails... you want to see how high he's fallen from... my only CC of this photo is it seems pretty pale... now maybe that guy is just REALLY white... but i would just drop the exposure down a step or 2.. but thats just me... hmm odd.. i just saved the picture and opened it in Lightroom... and i havent touched any settings.. but the skin looks darker.... is TPF brightening our images... (yes i realize this makes no sense.. its a joke) but the pic is darker in LR..

exactly.

my only criticism of the beginners forum is that it seems the common critique is "boring/uninteresting". before we critique someones work we should think about the style of photography, the purpose of it, and the approach, and realize that "interesting" is extremely subjective.

not coming down on tirediron, i'm just saying in general.

i think in skating/blading pics like this shallow depth of field kind of defeats the purpose. in skating, you dont take pictures of things to isolate the subject, for artistic value most of the time. most of the time its about footage to show people.."hey! see that behind me? i just jumped/grinded/360 varial flipped it" it's a culture that prides itself on footage as proof. so the backdrop is often just as important as the subject.

Completely agree.
Think of this type of photography as photojournalism.

Nice shot.

I really like the time of day lighting. Dark mid-background, with the lit sky behind him gives a certain feel to the picture.

Picky CC: The light pole behind his R arm is distracting a bit. Perhaps a more straight on shot OR standing more to your L to clear the light pole from the staircase so that you could take pics of him anywhere along the rail without the dark line competing with your subject.

haha thanks for the comments. yeah i think its darker in TPF for the photo. plus my friend is very very pale and white. hes a white kid

For a beginner like me looking at this picture, I would say that it is GREAT!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back