C&C Please

tresguey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to photography and my wife asked me to take shots of her handmade crafts. any thoughts on how to improve these shots.
070.jpg
073.jpg

The reflections are distracting. Shoot with them on a non-reflective background, like a piece of white paper.

Doesn't do much for me. There is no consideration to exposer, aperture, composition, the background or anything for that mater.
Sorry for bring brutally honest.

Doesn't do much for me. There is no consideration to exposer, aperture, composition, the background or anything for that mater.
Sorry for bring brutally honest.

The OP's opening words were "I'm new to photography..." You weren't "brutally honest." You were simply brutal.

Incidentally, if you want "brutal honesty," it's "exposure" (not "exposer") and "matter" (not "mater").

I'm new to photography and my wife asked me to take shots of her handmade crafts. any thoughts on how to improve these shots.

I've never done any product photography. However...
I'm with musicaleCA except that I'm not sure that white paper is the best. Perhaps an off-white or even a gray. You'll need to experiment. Also, you might want to ditch the flash. Arrange the jewelry near an uncovered window on an overcast day (for soft even lighting). Again, experimentation is the key.

I agree with the reflections being distracting. A simple white or black background would better showcase the jewelery in my opinion.

I know they can be much better. I'm just looking for a few ideas of what to improve on...What would shooting on plain white paper do?

I was using my D90 with the 15-105 lens.

I know they can be much better. I'm just looking for a few ideas of what to improve on...What would shooting on plain white paper do?

I was using my D90 with the 15-105 lens.

It's not what it will do but what it won't do - it won't reflect as much as the surface that you had used previously and, as a result, the shadows will be minimized. Of course, I don't think that white is best and I'm still inclined to eliminate the flash and go with soft natural light.

Posted by Nolan
Sorry for bring brutally honest

I don't understand why op's will make two posts. You can still get your message out in one post.

I'm with musicaleCA except that I'm not sure that white paper is the best. Perhaps an off-white or even a gray. You'll need to experiment. Also, you might want to ditch the flash. Arrange the jewelry near an uncovered window on an overcast day (for soft even lighting). Again, experimentation is the key
Using white paper will remove the reflection. Why don't you try this and find out for yourself ? :confused::lol:

Go to Ross-Simon dot com and click on bracelets,and then click on gemstone bracelets. You will see how nice this exact type of bracelet looks when shot on a smooth,white surface,and lighted from overhead, with reflector cards positioned in front of the camera,close to the product.

Shooting on white paper and lighting from overhead will give a nice shadow underneath the bracelet,and that shadow will give the bracket shape and size and will show its form; shooting on that black granite, what you get underneath is a reflection that is dark,and rather foreboding-looking.

On the lighter bracelet, a solid, smooth blue surface would look okay, but black is very extreme in its contrast; the gemstone bracelet with the ochre tones looks bad when shot on a reflective black surface.

Potoflex.com might still have its lesson on how to photograph small jewlery products on a budget--you might check their web site for a free,step-by-step lesson.

What are you doing with these photos, If you are trying to sell stuff then I would use a less reflective base. If you are just taking photos of the jewelry then I would move it off center a little and it will be good.

I'm with musicaleCA except that I'm not sure that white paper is the best. Perhaps an off-white or even a gray. You'll need to experiment. Also, you might want to ditch the flash. Arrange the jewelry near an uncovered window on an overcast day (for soft even lighting). Again, experimentation is the key
Using white paper will remove the reflection. Why don't you try this and find out for yourself ? :confused::lol:

Because I have no personal interest in product photography.

Go to Ross-Simon dot com and click on bracelets,and then click on gemstone bracelets. You will see how nice this exact type of bracelet looks when shot on a smooth,white surface,and lighted from overhead, with reflector cards positioned in front of the camera,close to the product.

Shooting on white paper and lighting from overhead will give a nice shadow underneath the bracelet,and that shadow will give the bracket shape and size and will show its form; shooting on that black granite, what you get underneath is a reflection that is dark,and rather foreboding-looking.

On the lighter bracelet, a solid, smooth blue surface would look okay, but black is very extreme in its contrast; the gemstone bracelet with the ochre tones looks bad when shot on a reflective black surface.

Potoflex.com might still have its lesson on how to photograph small jewlery products on a budget--you might check their web site for a free,step-by-step lesson.

Too true. And on a budget, those reflectors can be folded pieces of white printer paper too. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back