C&C Please!

they just look like snapshots. nothing special.

That is totally not helpful. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't post it. This is just as bad as all the "I like it" comments people get

As for the images, I find they are both underexposed.
In the first one, his shirt is nearly totally black without any texture. I find the background to be busy with non important elements. Try to find somewhere to shoot where the background either adds to the image or is almost non existent (or increase your aperture to get a shallower DOF)

Portraits usually mean importance on the eyes. So having the subject hide theirs, unless its for a specific intent, is not good.

The second image is better in terms of composition, but still badly exposed. Its also hard to see exactly where you cropped as both your images are stuck together...put spaces between images so they are easier to see

There we go. Spaced em out a bit.

Thanks a lot for your input! It has all been noted!

Also, neither one was posed at all. They were both just candid shots that I thought came out well. Let me play with the exposure a little. On my screen they don't seem that bad, but you know how that goes.

There we go. Spaced em out a bit.

Thanks a lot for your input! It has all been noted!

Also, neither one was posed at all. They were both just candid shots that I thought came out well. Let me play with the exposure a little. On my screen they don't seem that bad, but you know how that goes.

You might want to try to calibrate your monitor. I had this problem a while ago, with things looking properly exposed on my monitor, but people saying they were under exposed. If you don't want to spring for one of those calibration kits, there are several places online you can go that will allow you to calibrate based on a gradients of shades from black to white and all the greys in between. It's better than nothing and should help with this problem.

I really like the second photograph. I think the underexposure isn't all that bad, because it kind of sets a nice dark mood. The rain on the windscreen also does your photo justice. Good job, keep it up.

One of the problems with posting small shots is that subtle tones get lost.
Post shots at or close to 800 pixels wide and subtlety becomes apparent.

That is totally not helpful. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't post it. This is just as bad as all the "I like it" comments people get

I disagree. Saying "looks like a snapshot" sums up a number of characteristics that would take many more words to articulate if we hashed it out each and every time. It saves the OP and the critic from beating a dead horse.

If I'm going for something beyond a snapshot and a critic, for whose C&C ability I respect, tells me "it's a snapshot" then I consider that meaningful C&C. There is much implied meaning in that simple phrase if it is given and interpreted with care.

I disagree. Saying "looks like a snapshot" sums up a number of characteristics that would take many more words to articulate if we hashed it out each and every time. It saves the OP and the critic from beating a dead horse.
+1

Twinky
You're back :)

If I'm going for something beyond a snapshot and a critic, for whose C&C ability I respect, tells me "it's a snapshot" then I consider that meaningful C&C. There is much implied meaning in that simple phrase if it is given and interpreted with care.

That is assuming the person who is posting actually knows the implied meaning behind "its a snapshot".

Chances are that someone who is posting something that is "like a snapshot" has no clue what the implied meaning is.

So how is the OP suppose to understand, learn and better themselves if they have no clue what.

There was a thread the other day where the OP posting some snapshot pictures. I gave him what I thought was useful CC and he went back and actually shot something different and made some half decent images. Had no one actually explained what a "snapshot" means, he wouldn't of taken better pictures.

And keep in mind this is the beginners section, not advanced. People here have a minimal knowledge of photography and even less knowledge of the terms used on this website.

That is assuming the person who is posting actually knows the implied meaning behind "its a snapshot".

Chances are that someone who is posting something that is "like a snapshot" has no clue what the implied meaning is.

So how is the OP suppose to understand, learn and better themselves if they have no clue what.

There was a thread the other day where the OP posting some snapshot pictures. I gave him what I thought was useful CC and he went back and actually shot something different and made some half decent images. Had no one actually explained what a "snapshot" means, he wouldn't of taken better pictures.

And keep in mind this is the beginners section, not advanced. People here have a minimal knowledge of photography and even less knowledge of the terms used on this website.

I'm willing to place more responsibility on the OP to do some of their own homework. Perhaps read a bit before they post. Or maybe we could have a sticky: what makes your photo a snapshot. We don't have to recreate the wheel every day.

I'm glad your OP responded favorably to your suggestions. Frankly that is a rarity around here these days... the exception to the rule.

This is a beginners section but it shouldn't be the beginner's ONLY source of education. I'm afraid one wouldn't make much improvement if they limited their efforts to posting shots here and taking whatever advice may or may not be offered.

Santa- Don't think this discussion is specific to you and it doesn't reflect negatively on your shots. Your thread just happened to spur discussion re: bigger issues.

For the record, I know what "just a snapshot" means. Also, I haven't been offended by anyone's remarks. I wouldn't have posted them had I been scared of criticism!

Thank you all for your time and input! It helps!

I'm willing to place more responsibility on the OP to do some of their own homework. Perhaps read a bit before they post. Or maybe we could have a sticky: what makes your photo a snapshot. We don't have to recreate the wheel every day.

I'm glad your OP responded favorably to your suggestions. Frankly that is a rarity around here these days... the exception to the rule.

This is a beginners section but it shouldn't be the beginner's ONLY source of education. I'm afraid one wouldn't make much improvement if they limited their efforts to posting shots here and taking whatever advice may or may not be offered.

Santa- Don't think this discussion is specific to you and it doesn't reflect negatively on your shots. Your thread just happened to spur discussion re: bigger issues.

I totally understand and mostly agree with what you are saying. People should spend more time in understanding and learning instead of taking their camera out of the box and posting their first 3 images.

Personally, if I see some posts or posters have some sort of potential or spark, I'll take the time to give more detail. In my past TPF life, I did this with almost all posts, which burnt me out on CC. This time around, I'm being more selective as to which photos I comment on :)

Personally, if I see some posts or posters have some sort of potential or spark, I'll take the time to give more detail. In my past TPF life, I did this with almost all posts, which burnt me out on CC. This time around, I'm being more selective as to which photos I comment on :)

Thanks! I appreciate the indirect compliment!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back