Digital Demise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Photo 1
7.jpg

Photo 2 - Did a little pp work on this one... Obviously I don't know what I am doing, but I thought it might prove useful for critique.
8.jpg

Photo 3
9.jpg

Photo 4
10.jpg

Well, as no-one else has jumped in yet, I'll give it a go.

1. I think it's ok, but I'm not sure. It's only mildly interesting. I struggle with where to put the focal point with this kind of shot myself. It's not You did well to keep the sky blue though.

2. The tree doesn't add to the photo. I would crop it out. This would leave you with a portrait orientation which I think would work better anyway. I would have liked to have seen her legs included in the frame too. Unusually I think the harsh shadows work here, giving a more dramatic look. I like her facial expression.

3. Nicely isolated. I would have liked to have had slightly a higher vantage point to see more of the flower itself. Probably my favourite of the three, but number 2 cropped would be close.

4. A little bit snapshot-y. I think you missed the focus as it seems to be on the rocks in front of the little guy. He also seems to occupy a small amount of the shot, so a tighter crop may help.

I realize my monitor is not the greatest, but it looks like there is a lot of noise in the edit.

1- What is your subject? the whole photo is out of focus except for the right corner
which i dont know what it is.

2- Nice shot,what settings did you use? were you using a zoom lens?

3- Tighter crop,maybe?

4- Nice shot. like the edit too.

1- What is your subject? the whole photo is out of focus except for the right corner
which i dont know what it is.

2- Nice shot,what settings did you use? were you using a zoom lens?

3- Tighter crop,maybe?

4- Nice shot. like the edit too.

Thanks for the comments lunaaa. Here are some responses.

1. The right corner is one of the round bales of hay... The same that you see in the field. I was focusing on that one bale in this particular photo. I took several shots of this field but most of them seemed quite boring. This one seemed at least a little interesting to me.

2. I was using a 55-250 IS lens. I was running in Tv mode with the shutter speed set to 200 to try to get a clear picture from far away. (I was actually on the other side of a pond when I took that.)

3. With this one I was trying to use the rule of thirds... Did I misinterpret something here? Or did it just not work?

4. Thanks on this one... I do wish I could have gotten it more in focus. It was kind of difficult because he is standing at the end of a 40 foot long fallen tree and I tried to get most of the tree in the shot as well as him.

Well, as no-one else has jumped in yet, I'll give it a go.

1. I think it's ok, but I'm not sure. It's only mildly interesting. I struggle with where to put the focal point with this kind of shot myself. It's not You did well to keep the sky blue though.

2. The tree doesn't add to the photo. I would crop it out. This would leave you with a portrait orientation which I think would work better anyway. I would have liked to have seen her legs included in the frame too. Unusually I think the harsh shadows work here, giving a more dramatic look. I like her facial expression.

3. Nicely isolated. I would have liked to have had slightly a higher vantage point to see more of the flower itself. Probably my favourite of the three, but number 2 cropped would be close.

4. A little bit snapshot-y. I think you missed the focus as it seems to be on the rocks in front of the little guy. He also seems to occupy a small amount of the shot, so a tighter crop may help.

Thanks for the input....

Here is a different view/focal point of the same field - Do you like it better?
7a.jpg

Here is the unedited original shot of my daughter with the statue. (With her legs and all lol)
8a.jpg

What if you used a bit of a tighter crop on photo 4.... I also played with the levels a bit and enhanced the color a bit... Just as an example...

10.jpg

Thanks for the edit - I do like the crop much better. The colors look a lot better as well. I do see what pbelarge meant about the noise though. Perhaps working with a RAW format image would have made it easier.

1. I can see what you were trying to do, and I probably would've tried the same thing, but it ends up a bit confusing until you stare at it for a while. Maybe a smaller aperture?

2. I like this, except for whatever is sticking out from behind the tree. The highlights also look a bit blown-out.

3. My favorite of the bunch. The colors and focus are great, and I like the composition. The dark stalk in the background is pretty distracting, though.

4. Snapshot-ish and out of focus. meh. Perhaps a bit over-exposed, too. A lower angle might have been pretty cool.

1. The right corner is one of the round bales of hay... The same that you see in the field. I was focusing on that one bale in this particular photo. I took several shots of this field but most of them seemed quite boring. This one seemed at least a little interesting to me.

Ok now that makes sense .:D

2. I was using a 55-250 IS lens. I was running in Tv mode with the shutter speed set to 200 to try to get a clear picture from far away. (I was actually on the other side of a pond when I took that.)

I like the original one you posted too. i think this shot is kind of emotional.

3. With this one I was trying to use the rule of thirds... Did I misinterpret something here? Or did it just not work?

No dont get me wrong,rule of thirds is working fine,but we dont get to see much of the flower itself so i was thinking maybe cropping it a bit would help enhance the feeling of the flower being of importance.

4. Thanks on this one... I do wish I could have gotten it more in focus. It was kind of difficult because he is standing at the end of a 40 foot long fallen tree and I tried to get most of the tree in the shot as well as him.

Was it possible to shoot alittle furthur away to show its a fallen tree,not just rocks?

#1 wud be so much better if the bush wasn't in the way.

#3 very well done.

3. No dont get me wrong,rule of thirds is working fine,but we dont get to see much of the flower itself so i was thinking maybe cropping it a bit would help enhance the feeling of the flower being of importance.

OK that makes sense to me. I just realized that re-reading my post made it sound like I could have been being a smart *ss, I promise you I wasn't. I am JUST beginning to learn this stuff.

4. Was it possible to shoot alittle furthur away to show its a fallen tree,not just rocks?

I couldn't shoot from further away if I wanted to shoot straight down the tree trunk. The 5 foot tall stump was right at the end.

I really like #1, but that fuzzy lil piece of hay is just irksome. I get crap like that in my pics and it makes me so mad!

#2 I really like, too, but I liked the original better, I think.

#3 I couldn't tell it was a tree trunk. It def could be my eyes, but I thought it was rocks. But after you said it I could tell. I think what I would have done would be get a little lower and to the side just a tad and maybe have him sit on the end, or maybe even lay.

I'm NEW! to this, so I'm mainly just throwing my $0.02 out there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back