C&C please

no, don't sigh! I understand what you are saying, however if I only practiced on things I was interested in or in a style that is pleasing to me, I'd have no real practice, KWIM? so what is the harm in making a few bucks to blow out a clients pictures if that is what they want?

I am all :hug:: with your advice! But I want to practice, and if I have to photograph kids in funny bonnets and tutu's then that is what I have to practice with.

That being said, I've yet to charge a penny for any picture.

no, don't sigh! I understand what you are saying, however if I only practiced on things I was interested in or in a style that is pleasing to me, I'd have no real practice, KWIM? so what is the harm in making a few bucks to blow out a clients pictures if that is what they want?

I am all :hug:: with your advice! But I want to practice, and if I have to photograph kids in funny bonnets and tutu's then that is what I have to practice with.

That being said, I've yet to charge a penny for any picture.

If you are selling out to what your client wants......don't expect us to C&C it that way....;) (not that I'm against you shooting to the clients wants) It's just we are C&Cing the picture from a different point of view.

Ababy, reread my post. I think I acknowledged everthing you just said. :sexywink:

whew? am I in the BEGINNERS Forum? lol
Yes, you are. But why should that stifle progressive comments? There are a few of us on this thread that wish to see you succeed. That's why thought provoking comments have been made. It's not for our benefit, but only to get a shooter with potential to progress. Look beyond the immediate.

Your studio work is good without a doubt..... so to speak. You're MWC work is in need of attention. It really is that simple. As far as I can see, everybody wants to see you to go far. Myself included. Be a sponge and absorb all that works for you. If I or anyone else makes a comment that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.... figure out why. Nothing wrong with pushing back, but realize the comments are made for a reason. We are simply voyers on your adventure.

Did you do any editing work to the eyes in any of the photos?

I personally am not the biggest fan of the high-key style but I can appreciate it when it works. I mainly wanted to see if you did any work to the eyes, thought I'd agree that the style has its place.

I took a couple minutes to try a couple different looks, based on the original file. I'm not all that talented with Photoshop, but I think your original file could be worked into a very nice, light,airy shot, without having the dress and bonnet totally blown-out and detail-less in appearance.

Diffused look and sRGB profile added
128287292.jpg

Boosted saturation and sRGB profile added
128287293.jpg

unretouched image
2w50ghu.jpg

Last edited:
2w50ghu_myedit.jpg

This was an edit I made - tried to negate the blown out areas a bit. Did all this in Oloneo. Went for the slightly desaturated look and low contrast. Upped the temp as well.

She looks great, but the kid is pale as a ghost in real life. lol, giving her a little tan is all and good, but she is white, that is why in my original I thought I underexposed her.

What I find amazing is that the OP states she has only " been taking pictures" for 5 months and is only a beginner.
In contrast, each image has a logo with her name signed to it.
Conversely there is much talk about a client and a checkbook as if to say , " I am professional and make money with this."

This is not directed at the OP, just a general statement.

Thats the issue with photography today and all the MWCs and GWCs and other acronymy people who buy a camera and go out and shoot. I see way too people being more worried up front with their watermark, their webpage design, their facebook fan page, their business name then they are about taking a clean, crisp and well composed image. I guess its the thought of the awesome fame and popularity that all photographers have that draw them to this? Or its only $800 for a camera and a lens, and everything can be fixed with photoshop

oh please!
so effing what if I put a watermark on the picture, I mean really? who cares?

I have not charged anyone yet, I am still learning, I KNOW 5 months is way too early for me to be anything more then a MWC, but you have to start somewhere!

And really the only reason I made a logo is because I made a separate facebook page for my pictures, since I did not want strangers on my personal page.

And just because my practice subjects are friends and friends of friends and friends of friends friends (got all of that???) doesnt mean I can not call them clients.

If you are worried about that part of my picture, I don't know what to tell you.

Don't sweat it, ababy.

What I do take issue with is you throwing out "that's what sells", or "that's what the client wants", or "the Mommy has the checkbook" repeatedly, and then contradicting that with "doing this all for free."

Doing things for free, or very cheap, compared to "teh pros", changes the whole dynamic. People typically expect less, and accept lower quality when something is free, or comparitively very cheap.

I wish you'd just keep it real here, and not make claims of (false) "market experience". Let's concentrate on your work, and watching you grow, and leave all that other stuff out. :sexywink:

5 and 6 are adorable. But all of them are a bit overexposed in my opinion. As a mother, i'd love them to death (theyre still really cute) love the composition on them... but the white on white ( I think ) is a little too much.
Do what works, and go with whatever "sells". I think your pictures have been great, and you are showing effort in them as well as improvement. :thumbup:

# 5 ..... so cute !

I agree that all ot the pic. looks overexposed white on white it's rough task

What I find amazing is that the OP states she has only " been taking pictures" for 5 months and is only a beginner.
In contrast, each image has a logo with her name signed to it.
Conversely there is much talk about a client and a checkbook as if to say , " I am professional and make money with this."

This is not directed at the OP, just a general statement.

Thats the issue with photography today and all the MWCs and GWCs and other acronymy people who buy a camera and go out and shoot. I see way too people being more worried up front with their watermark, their webpage design, their facebook fan page, their business name then they are about taking a clean, crisp and well composed image. I guess its the thought of the awesome fame and popularity that all photographers have that draw them to this? Or its only $800 for a camera and a lens, and everything can be fixed with photoshop

Both of you make pretty good points, as do Bitter and Kundalini...really...good...points...very...applicable...

ababysean:
You chose to post these pics and ask for C&C, therfore you should accept it.
However, once one vulture strikes the mobbing bullying element takes over, hardly any positive comments.
#5 is my fav.

Most reactions

Back