C&C plz...some practice in the yard!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by d40bby, Apr 21, 2009.

1. d40bby

d40bby TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #1 seems overexposed

#2 is really nice!

#3 I think it may be nicer if you used a lower f number (wider aperture) so that the background is more blurred, and centered the flower so it takes up more of the frame.

#4 I like this one, but I think it would look better if you cropped out the left side, and again, centered the flower more.

#5 I personally really like this shot...I like how the leaves in the tree are kind of golden, very pretty!

I hope this helps!

3. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A general comment: most of these photos seem to have lots of things in them. The good part is that each one has a nice, clear subject. The bad part is that each also has a lot of other things... for example, the base of a lamp post growing asymmetrically out of the back of the statue. You may want to pay a bit more attention to what else is in the frame, and perhaps try to rearrange your composition to either avoid unwanted objects, or include them in a more intentional way.

4. d40bby

d40bby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies!

here is the original of number one...after looking at it again, I realize now that most of the problem was from my own over-zealous editing!

[​IMG]

dcclark, I understand exactly what you mean. I think I have so much going through my head that it is easy to overlook things like that. I admittedly feel that I don't have the most artistic eye, but I am trying to improve!

5. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are these shot with a D40? Do you have the shot info for each image? No exif.

#1 - The shadow across the face just ruins this image for me.

#2 - Nice B&W conversion. How did you illuminate the subject? Did you use a reflector?

#3 - Nice flower, but watch your background. You might want to get closer to the flower and fill the frame with it to reduce the background influences.

#4 - Nice shallow DOF, but again watch your background. The square white area above the flower is drawing the eyes away from the flower. I think a deeper DOF would have been better for this particular shot...the top flower is OOF and is distracting.

#5 - Some nice things going on in this image...framing, textures, backlighting and silhouettes...but which object in this shot is the main focus? The church? The trees? The sunlit walkway?

6. d40bby

d40bby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Samanax: yes they are with a d40...let me see if I'm grabbing you the correct info:

#1) f/8 1/250 iso 400 18mm focal length
    The shadow bothers me too...I wish I knew a way to get rid of it, but at this point I do not.

#2) f/3.5 1/1000 iso 200 18mm
    This is lit naturally from the sun

#3) f/3.5 1/80 iso 200 18mm
    I actually did a vertical crop of this after you mentioned it and I like it better

#4) f/3.5 1/160 iso 200 18mm
    This one IS a crop...I see the white box though.

#5) f/10 1/400 iso 200 28mm
    My original subject was the church. A lot of the focus lands on the pathway though.

Let me know if this is not the information you were looking for :lmao: Thanks for all the help!