C&C "Rule of Thirds" _ Group 1

Clawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Finally got around to posting a picture (taken this morning) observing the "rule of thirds."

I was not sure this would be a good shot as it was back-lit and I did not use any fill. I dismissed the image, but I thought it could work for our "thirds" assignment. I think the images strength lies in the fairly dramatic lighting and I wanted the dark side of the face to still show some detail. The image is sharp where it matters, and I added no PP sharpness, but I think it could benefit from this.

Let me know what you think!

3604936589_e04fcac626_o.jpg

Aperture: f/4.0
ISO: 200
Shutter Speed: 1/200s

Last edited:
I think this is an example of the rule of thirds? Anyway, this was taken in Key West last week when we were walking around town... I turned the corner and here was this bottle of red stripe ready to be photographed- I didn't move it or anything! In retrospect maybe I should have rotated it to the right just a tad haha.

3606530980_b22c975e40.jpg

Finally got around to posting a picture (taken this morning) observing the "rule of thirds." Let me know what you think!

Well... this certainly is a good example of the thirds rule. Did you vary the pose at all? I wonder if this could benefit from some diagonal lines, rather than the vertical line of the face and the horizontal line of his arm. Try rotating the canvas.

I do like the subtle detail in the shadow area.

– Pete

Finally got around to posting a picture (taken this morning) observing the "rule of thirds." Let me know what you think!

Well... this certainly is a good example of the thirds rule. Did you vary the pose at all? I wonder if this could benefit from some diagonal lines, rather than the vertical line of the face and the horizontal line of his arm. Try rotating the canvas.

I do like the subtle detail in the shadow area.

– Pete
I did not vary the pose (in fact I did not pose the subject, it was decent timing), and this was a one-shot deal. The one shot was taken, and I moved on. I thought the very same about the face forming a vertical, and it is cropped so I think I can make an adjustment to see how it turns out. Thanks for the input!

Any other comments?

At first I didn't really think it followed the ROT due the head's central placement, but the eye (focal point) does fall right at the intersecting thirds. Nice shot!

^^^ I was thinking the same. I feel the lights and darks are well balanced too. I like this shot.

Beautiful picture. It feels a little too dark for me, but I see that it works ok. I DO like how the light is perfectly split down his nose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back