C&C: Skateboarding

Sorry to resurrect a week-old thread, but I finally got a chance to crop these although the distractions made it difficult to compose the crop, and now they are at about a 90% or greater crop, which is kind of pathetic...

What do you think? Better?
#1mkII
3640475276_e62d917067_o.jpg

#2mkII
3640475224_fcff9680c4_o.jpg

Better than the originals. Skate shots are best done low with a wide angle to emphasize the trick, but if you don't skate yourself, these are nicely done!

Better than the originals. Skate shots are best done low with a wide angle to emphasize the trick, but if you don't skate yourself, these are nicely done!
Yeah, that's actually how they were shot, but I couldn't get them to trick close to me, so I was shooting at 17mm sitting/kneeling most of the time, but I think they were worried about damaging my gear. I hope that I can get down there often enough to get to know some of the guys a little, because I figured that would help, but I have been very busy with schoolwork the past few weekends. I hope to shoot these guys again next weekend and will post results. Also, how do you guys do timing? I was shooting continuous and starting when they were getting ready to jump. I feel like I could have gotten better results just timing it myself (after some practice of course). How would you do it?

Last skate shot I did was of myself with a remote. Not the easiest of methods. Continuous might be good, but the trick is so short that you can often miss the best part. I'd try shooting with your natural timing and seeing what the results are, and you can always go back to continuous.

Thanks man! I skated for about 12 years but now I'm a bit too old to keep up with it.

Atiba Jefferson was one of my favorite skate photographers, he does a lot of pro sports stuff too lately. He's worth checking out if you want some ideas. Looking forward to your next shots!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back