C&C Squirrel photos!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CAG76, Jan 3, 2009.

1. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    These photos have no color correction, or contrast correction or any touch up at all. Nothing really special, just pure photography so they may look pretty plain. Feel free to just knock them out! Ha ha don't totally knock them... you can tell me what is good too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Christopher

2. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the first of the shots best. However I would crop and recompose to get closer to the little one. Two and three are properly exposed color looks pretty good as well but I dont care for the composition.

3. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    The focus appears to be just in front of the subject in all three pics. All three need to be cropped to isolate the subject.

4. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great! Thanks! Those are things I will work on.

5. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think another thing is about the aperture. I knew nothing about what the aperture did until this passed week so that would help a lot.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the first one, the other two don't do much for me.

Even if accidental, you used depth of field nicely on the first one. Focus on the squirrel looks slightly off but it's still a cool shot.

7. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The pictures are okay, but are basically just snap shots. The first shot has the most promise, the second and third shots are basically the same and not very interesting.

You want to try to focus on the eye(s) if possible (kinda hard with a moving animal, but try).

Try to get down to their level too...camera at their eye level makes the picture more interesting.

Be aware of where the light is coming from. Try not to shoot near midday as that's when you have harsh lighting conditions. On really bright days try to shoot your subject when they're in the shade. Use a reflector or fill flash if you have to.

Watch your backgrounds.

Here are a few links to some good tutorials on composition...

How To Improve Your Photography: 5 Easy Tricks

Digital Photography Composition Tips

Photography Composition Articles

8. scooter2525

scooter2525 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm wondering how on the first shot you were able to give such attention to squirrel and have a good depth of field compared to the background? I've attempted to have similar shots with my XSI in AV mode, but not quite to that extent...

9. Kileki

Kileki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The first one is probably the better of the three. Although the background kinda makes me wonder off back there, and it kind of distracted me. That's just me though. As for your 2nd and 3rd one, I think it doesn't do much for a lot of people because it's a squirrel right smack in the middle of the picture. Try different angles of the squirrel. And I agree with Samanax about getting down a little more. Goes along with the different angles.

10. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow this is really good stuff! Yeah the first shot was actually an accident. That just happened, but the two you don't care much for were the easy ones. :) But that's what makes photography fun! If getting a good shot was so easy it wouldn't be fun would it.

Here is the thing about the first shot Kileki mentioned the back ground makes you wonder what is back there, or what it is. It was taken downtown Indy so that really was the sidewalk and then the street. When I take pictures of animals I really don't like to see the street or people or cars or even a house in the back ground. I would rather if I was just seeing grass some plants back there. This is why I can't wait until summer. Not really much to take pictures of or even at a good part of the day, but right now I am getting a LOT of practice and learning many things. And you guys are helping a lot! I appreciate all the comments and tips! Keep up coming!

-Christopher

Oh and I bookmarked all of those sites you gave me, Samanax.

12. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I rehabbed a pair of grey squirrels. I know how hard it can be to get them still lol. Maybe that is why the focus is off a little? Either way..Id say take their suggestions.

Mark