C&C Squirrel photos!

CAG76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These photos have no color correction, or contrast correction or any touch up at all. Nothing really special, just pure photography so they may look pretty plain. Feel free to just knock them out! Ha ha don't totally knock them... you can tell me what is good too!

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

-Christopher

I like the first of the shots best. However I would crop and recompose to get closer to the little one. Two and three are properly exposed color looks pretty good as well but I dont care for the composition.

I think another thing is about the aperture. I knew nothing about what the aperture did until this passed week so that would help a lot.

I like the first one, the other two don't do much for me.

Even if accidental, you used depth of field nicely on the first one. Focus on the squirrel looks slightly off but it's still a cool shot.

The pictures are okay, but are basically just snap shots. The first shot has the most promise, the second and third shots are basically the same and not very interesting.

You want to try to focus on the eye(s) if possible (kinda hard with a moving animal, but try).

Try to get down to their level too...camera at their eye level makes the picture more interesting.

Be aware of where the light is coming from. Try not to shoot near midday as that's when you have harsh lighting conditions. On really bright days try to shoot your subject when they're in the shade. Use a reflector or fill flash if you have to.

Watch your backgrounds.

Here are a few links to some good tutorials on composition...

How To Improve Your Photography: 5 Easy Tricks

Digital Photography Composition Tips

Photography Composition Articles

I'm wondering how on the first shot you were able to give such attention to squirrel and have a good depth of field compared to the background? I've attempted to have similar shots with my XSI in AV mode, but not quite to that extent...

The first one is probably the better of the three. Although the background kinda makes me wonder off back there, and it kind of distracted me. That's just me though. As for your 2nd and 3rd one, I think it doesn't do much for a lot of people because it's a squirrel right smack in the middle of the picture. Try different angles of the squirrel. And I agree with Samanax about getting down a little more. Goes along with the different angles.

Wow this is really good stuff! Yeah the first shot was actually an accident. That just happened, but the two you don't care much for were the easy ones. :) But that's what makes photography fun! If getting a good shot was so easy it wouldn't be fun would it.

Here is the thing about the first shot Kileki mentioned the back ground makes you wonder what is back there, or what it is. It was taken downtown Indy so that really was the sidewalk and then the street. When I take pictures of animals I really don't like to see the street or people or cars or even a house in the back ground. I would rather if I was just seeing grass some plants back there. This is why I can't wait until summer. Not really much to take pictures of or even at a good part of the day, but right now I am getting a LOT of practice and learning many things. And you guys are helping a lot! I appreciate all the comments and tips! Keep up coming!

-Christopher

Oh and I bookmarked all of those sites you gave me, Samanax.

I rehabbed a pair of grey squirrels. I know how hard it can be to get them still lol. Maybe that is why the focus is off a little? Either way..Id say take their suggestions.

Mark

I agree with Samanax. The first does indeed have most promise. But all do have a snapshot feel.

The only time you want to be that far from the subject would be to include an interesting background. The bokeh is way too distracting on this one. The path is a huge monochromatic slab that deters from the main subject.

The other two are just too plain. It is definitely difficult working with animals. Kind of like kids they move around arbitrarily and don't exactly take direction :). But if possible the shot would have been improved by having the animal in a particularly interesting pose. On it's hind legs, mid run, etc.

Great effort! Messing with DOF can be a lot of fun. Remember, even if you blur something out it becomes a very important part of the picture. If you don't want it to, crop tight or get closer.

OK while we are on the squirell subject, I forgot I took this one. This was another quicky that I wanted to get while it was on a tree. I was upstairs and took this from a window. One day I will get even closer. This animal thing is such a fun challenge for me, and I will keep doing this until I get something awesome!

Now I know this one is just sitting here kind of snap shottish too, but the depth looks better in this one. I too like it when you are level with the animal. It would be nicer cropped or taken closer.

Squirreltree.jpg

I will have to find it, but back when I had my Canon Powershot G5 I took a picture of a squirrel climbing down a tree in an interesting pose with an acorn in it's mouth. Now that picture still had a snap shot look, but it, to me, was doing something different that you don't see often when caught in a photograph.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back