C&C This night shot for me!

AdamBomb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, Took this about 5 minutes ago. I used 'P' Mode. I had the WB set on B4 to try and offset the orange yard light a little bit. ISO 200 <--- Should this be way higher for night? If I had to guess I would say the shutter was open for 30 Seconds. The yard light is orange, I'm assuming there is nothing to do about this is there?

Click for Large

Here's Number 2. Taken at 2:25am. I think this one turned out pretty cool. But I want some C&C. I Think the swing set needs to be more in focus. Exposure too High? +1.3 Exposure, ISO 200. Should I take these in Manual so I can adjust the F/Stop?

what lens are you using? The main problems with these photos (in my opinion, besides the fact that I don't find them interesting) is that there is hardly any detail in the photos, everything is extremely soft - was there a breeze going through the grass by chance? That might've helped to the "soft image" effect with a 30 second exposure... edit: never mind I see your sig. I'm wondering if the D90 ended up shooting wide open or something, thus causing the softness as described...

Combine the angle with which you shot the first photo with the amount of sky in the second photo and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

That's one thing that I'm finding really hard is focusing these shots. The 2nd one is only about a 5 sec exposure. I'd really like to get the swing set nice and crisp...but it's just not happening! It's 3:50am, I'm wide awake, and i'm going to try again!

WHEW! It's gotta be about 20 degrees out there! And the Damn clouds decided they wanted to come out!

Still ISO 200, + .3 Exposure on Both. 5 Second Exposures

I like the looks of 4. The trees are nice and sharp, including the one in the background to the right. The sky is great. Would almost like to see you on the other side of the swing set. Perhaps it would stand out a bit more with it lit up.

ISO 200 <--- Should this be way higher for night? If I had to guess I would say the shutter was open for 30 Seconds.
Actually considering you're obviously using a tripod, I'd lower it down as far as it'll go, not higher. Also, as you said, go to manual, giving you control over your FStop, AFAIK, you'll generally find things sharpest around 8. Lowering ISO and using a smaller aperture will increase your exposure times though, so make sure the tripod is sturdy.

I also really like the sky in #4, but the natural light should be coming from the rh side of the photo, but some of the trees and part of the swingset are also lit from the lh side of the photo.

But still a nice photograph.

Actually considering you're obviously using a tripod, I'd lower it down as far as it'll go, not higher. Also, as you said, go to manual, giving you control over your FStop, AFAIK, you'll generally find things sharpest around 8. Lowering ISO and using a smaller aperture will increase your exposure times though, so make sure the tripod is sturdy.

Deck Railing Actually :lol:. So My Shots were limited. Now when I use manual, If I lower the ISO down, will make my shutter stay open longer, because thats why I wasnt shooting Manual this morning because I couldnt figure out how to change the shutter speed :blushing:. Still Learning!

You've got a little bit of flare in the first and third shots, but nothing major.

I'm not sure what blash is talking about, they all look pretty sharp to me. I like the white balance in the first shot. The fourth shot is definitely the best, and to be honest I think it's a good thing the clouds came out as it adds some interest and lightness to the sky.

Most reactions

Back