C&C Welcome, Paid with a heart attack.

It said in the first post all he got paid for this was the hamburger. cc is fun but keeping the financials in mind, i don't think i would go to town spending lots of time and money trying to earn a free hamburger.

It said in the first post all he got paid for this was the hamburger. cc is fun but keeping the financials in mind, i don't think i would go to town spending lots of time and money trying to earn a free hamburger.

I totally disagree with this logic. If you don't go in to the cheap jobs bringing your A game, then how do you expect to get the bigger jobs?

Always do your best work.

Granted, this may be a lack of equipment and skills (and I mean no offense at that), but I'm arguing your logic in approach here, not whether or not OP can rise to the challenge, or whether or not he tried his best.

flash and food don't really match and you don't need to invest more money, why couldn't you use natural light with reflectors (black, white, gold) and difuser?
Well, I agree that he should probably work on a bunch of other stuff before spending more money. But saying that natural light and diffusers completely replace strobes and speedlights or that flash and food don't mix inherently is, I dunno... I kinda have to go with "wrong" though I don't mean to be flippant or insulting.

I haven't taken this as an insult, just to be clear and I didn't tell that natural light completely replace strobes and speedlights. I did say/do think that flash doesn't go well with food. That's my honest opinion and you can shoot me if you want for not liking the flash in food.

Some things you just straight up cannot do with natural light without superhuman effort (like blank white backgrounds, for instance), and even the normal key and fill lights, although possible to replicate, take way more effort with reflectors, and probably ultimately even more equipment and time to triangulate all the craziness and hold everything where it needs to be. And then half an hour later, your light shifts. And you can only shoot at day... And you are stuck with a certain color. And and and etc. Natural light is great, but only one of a huge variety of tools. It's called photography -- light writing. Being able to control what you're writing if you want or need to is very important, and you're hamstringing yourself by never doing it.
I'm just saying that he needs to learn much more about food photography and then to spend some money on everything he wants and needs. By the time he buy some strobes he should understand why he needs them, Natural or even available light is every day with you, no matter where you're going and what you're doing. Why not observe how that light behaves and when he understand how the light behaves and what it gives to the surfaces, he could do whatever he wants and with whatever he has available.

you mentioned something and...it's not the food photo but, you have here a highly reflective subject and one that's not... can you guess how it's taken?

$scissors-Medium.jpg

But yes he should probably master whatever he can do with one flash and better composition/aperture choices, etc. before spending a dime.

yes, my suggestion is always, learn as much as possible with what you already have!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I'll put this is the valuable learning experience category.

I totally disagree with this logic. If you don't go in to the cheap jobs bringing your A game, then how do you expect to get the bigger jobs?

Always do your best work.

Granted, this may be a lack of equipment and skills (and I mean no offense at that), but I'm arguing your logic in approach here, not whether or not OP can rise to the challenge, or whether or not he tried his best.
I could very well be wrong here. My better half says all I care about is money. :mrgreen: But that logic is basically my theory on business transactions in general. I have a family I support I don't work for free. I directly equate what i'm supplying for time, equipment and labor with monetary compensations. If I give more than i'm receiving in compensation i'm taking food out of my childrens mouths. But it goes even further than that because time is money. I need to bring x amount a year just to cover overhead. If others want to work and spend more money and time then they get back (work for free) then that is their prerogative I don't even consider that a option.

i'm not even in the position to do that im not rich and if I don't clear a certain amount things go downhill fast.. No games my budget stays in the black. So near every hour of every day (only so many days in a year) has a price. A twenty dollar meal = about twenty minutes with no equipment and they better be paying the standard vehicle mileage expense on top. But even that really wouldn't work because I wouldn't show up for twenty bucks period. No reason to I could stay home and play with the kids or put energy into making more money elsewhere. Maybe if I was real wealthy it be different? But right now money is no joke and if it isn't five hundred to a grand minimum it doesn't even show up on my radar. Nothing funny about munny.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back