C&C Welcome

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by EOS_JD, Feb 18, 2008.

1. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm not shy at giving advice and critique to images that get posted here (good and bad). When it comes to the images I take myself however, it's very difficult to be objective.

Please tell me what you think is right/wrong with these. I'm man enough to take the hit. I want to learn so blunt honesty is ok

These were taken at the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Jim

2. manderb1

manderb1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nice images, they seem a little too bright but it might be my monitor.

3. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've got a calibrated monitor and to be honest I think they are a bit bright too.... I'll tone the exposure down a tad in lightroom.

I should add that the histogram has a gap right but any further right and they look terrible!

Thanks for thew words.

4. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree, the pics are a bit bright. A defog with USM at 40, 60, and 1 sometimes helps with this too. But it appears you have a good handle on Lightroom too.

In any event, nice pics. Good focus and appropriately sharp. Nice traditional family poses. Great to see you posting again Jim! :)

NJ

5. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi NJ long time since I posted but have been busy of late. Have been shooting a few weddings and have a few booked for this year but I'm still learning as I go along and know tghat shooting portraits in a studio (my livingroom) is tough. So looking for help :)

Not sure whether I like the defog look or not :) I've used this in the past but not so much these days.

Used the 24-105 which is a great lens in the studio. Super sharp.

Thanks for the kind words and I'll try and post more often :)

Regards
    Jim

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

While in general they are decent I think the poses are a little forced with the "suished" together heads in the first one and the head tilts that look way too forced in 2,3,and,4. I think you do have the right idea though with some adjustments you can do an excellent job.

7. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks JIP
    The reason the first one is tight is because my background is pretty small and I'm tight for space. I was using a Lastolite Reversible Collapsible background which is only 5' wide so only just enough space for three heads tight together. I need more space :(

Tanks for the comments. All help to make me better is appreciated.... I'll be tryuing again next week.

The poses aren't forced as I was trying to get natural looking images but I see what you mean. How do I pose correctly? This is a tough question I know.

Can anyone recommend a posing book?

Regards
    Jim

8. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Jim, now that we are in the 21st century, I no longer use book so I can't recommend you any posing book. There's a website though that I thought is pretty interesting, maybe you have seen it before?

http://jzportraits.home.att.net/chapter-06.html

I like the posing in the first one very much.

9. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The posing is fine, but the exposure is too hot and the color is too warm. There is no gap in the histogram when I look at these in photoshop. Also, in the group shot of the three of them, the kid at cam left is overexposed, while the dad is more or less correctly exposed. When shooting a group like this, you've gotta watch the angle on your key light, because at 45 degrees or more, the light is strafing and giving an inconsistent exposure to the group. Bringing it a bit closer to cam will help this, and even consider putting it behind you up high and getting some butterfly lighting going. A large piece of foamcoare leaning against your tripod will lift the shadows under the nose and give you a similar shadow free light like you have here, but with a nice even exposure.

Skin tones are too red in these. I'm not an expert on color correction by numbers, but if you look at the cmyk numbers in photoshop, you'll see that the magenta in the skin tones is higher than the yellow, and typically you want it less. Even though they look too red to me, this proves they are too red, regardless of monitor calibration or differences in my monitor to yours. I've struggled myself with the oversaturation of red tones from digital. Hope this helps.

10. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    THanks schumionbike
    I saw this link a couple of years ago (forgot about that)! If I have any gripe though, the images just look a little old school if you see what I mean. However the basics are there and I certainly see a couple of things I could have done better..... I'll try again when I can talk the subjects into it :)

11. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Matt
    Thanks for the help. I do agree with you. I wasn't sure of the colour temp to use. I used AWB with my 20D however even that was too warm. I thought I'd made them look hot however it was good to have it confirmed.

My settings have been changed to 4150 (temp) and (-9 for tint). Flash default is 5500! Way too warm.....

I appreciate your comments regards the group shot too. Young Christopher is brighter than the others due to the position of the light. I'll change that. He has does however have a very fair complection. The step-dad by the way is me! :)

Are these any better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]