Cable timer release shutter speed?

Oneeyed Sam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

If i am shooting from inside through glass in the night with artificial lighting outside to show wild life, using a 400 fuji super strength color film canon lense, 100-200mm zoom,
F5.6, with settings at 5.6 , subject 25 feet or so away, how long do i need hold the shutter open for exposure?

Kind of wide range but if you can comment

thanks
i shot 1 roll with a straight 200 and same lighting but no timer release and film was no subjects.
:)

If you have an electronic shutter, set the camera to aperture priority and it will stay open until what it thinks is a proper exposure is achieved. For a manual shutter, I change the asa/iso dial to its fastest setting and see if the meter gives a reading, then do the math back to the setting I'm actually using. I then bracket in 1 stop increments starting from 2 stops slower than the indicated shutter speed and ending up 2 stops faster depending on what time of day/night I want it to look like. I would also bracket an electronic shutter using the manual overide.

The law of reciprocity is your enemy here as the film's sensitivity to light slows down if it's exposed for too long or too short (hyper-fast strobes).

You might also look into using Ilford's XP-2 Super film. You're not going to get much color to register on the color neg at night so a b&w film will work just as well. It's processed in the same color chemistry your lab uses for color negs. If you have them make prints, they will range from neutral to brown in color depending on the machine/technician. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/153916-REG/Ilford_1839575_XP_2_Super_135_36_B_W.html#features

Last edited:
Thanks

I ran a roll last night, so will be a few days before i have them back, i may have made my own mistake, but i never ran a roll and no subjects for years. It is a manual setting, and the last roll i did not use the time "but in haste" i may have had the meter switch off, "only for flash".
I will let you know as soon as these are back. We are out in the boonies so these now have to be mailed away :blushing:

Thanks for the links

Most reactions

New Topics

Back