Cactus Blossoms for C&C

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out to some family property today to get some cactus blossoms but had a hard time finding the right one for a decent composition. I think these two came out better than the others. Let me know what you think, and what I could possibly do to improve next time.

IMG_2580.jpg

f/9, 1/125 sec, ISO 100

I'm mostly please with this one, but I think I'll change a few things the next time around. It was originally done as a portrait, but I decided I liked it a lot better as a landscape. Hence the almost square cropping. Do you think this would be a good opportunity for a subtle HDR? I'm not sure how I like the highlights vs the shadows.
IMG_2596.jpg

f/11, 1/30 sec, ISO 100

The first thing that catches my eye is the light is way too harsh. Need to try again early in the morning, late in the evening or on a more overcast day.

Allan

contrast is too high. when in doubt regarding composition, get closer to the subject! it makes for a more interesting photo :)

I'm not crazy about the backgrounds, but since they are so low to the ground you get what you get. I also agree about the lighting. I would have preferred that you focus in on one, or a few, blossoms instead of trying to get the whole cactus. And maybe try a worm's eye view, that is, lay down and take the shot. You do whatever you have to to get the picture.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Love the depth of field. I agree with the others the light seems a bit harsh.

Thanks for the comments everyone. If I get the ambition I'll head out at first light tomorrow and try again with the different ideas. I'll try getting way down low as well as opening it wide :)

Most reactions

Back