Cactus Flowers

Mo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.themotec.com
I took this with my new SMC-Pentax A 400mm lens with film, and the scan turned out quite well (negative scanner.)

What do you think:

Cactus5.jpg

Visit my photo site- www.mosphotos.com -for more of my photos and popular articles.

There seems to be too much dead space around the flower. For instance there's nothing interesting in the sky to keep your attention there. So I think possilby a really tight crop right up around the flower would help this. The DOF is nice though...and the colors aren't shabby. I'd play with the crop and I think this would make this a much stronger image.

I agree with Amanda. I would prefer to see more of the cactus rather than the empty sky. I do like the colors, but I think a different composition is called for here.

i agree with the rest...looks a pic cut in half. can you reshoot or do you have an original that includes more of the plant? i'd also watch the exposure of the thorned area....it's starting to get a bit blown out. definately worth a revisit!

I agree with the others, too much blank sky. If you live near there and can get the shot again, maybe try it on a day with some clouds in the sky or at dusk with some red and orange streaks. If not a decent crop could help. Other than that, good detail.

Well, I live 10 feet from the cactus, since its in my back yard! I'm going to try reshooting it, but it'll take some time since I decided to use film*. I'll have to get my tripod out and the 400mm lens too.

*For this specific shot

Mo said:
Well, I live 10 feet from the cactus, since its in my back yard! I'm going to try reshooting it, but it'll take some time since I decided to use film*. I'll have to get my tripod out and the 400mm lens too.

*For this specific shot

good to see you finally got back to us on this :lmao:

Looks like everyone did a very good job of critique so I will go right for the tech aspect of your process. Get a couple of cans of compressed air and keep them next to your negative scanner to clean the dust off of all of your surfaces before scanning.

Most reactions

Back