calibrated my monitor

eyeye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I calibrated my monitor FINALLY after I was told that my skin tones were a tiny big green. Now everything is green. Even my B&W are green/aqua. Should I recalibrate? Will the same product have the same results? Advice?

Now everything is green.
Now you're seeing what it realy looks like, instead of what you thought it looked like. Don't recalibrate, reprocess.

nope, these are ones I am doing now. Turning a photo into greyscale wouldnt produce a blue green photo. And everything I shoot is very green. The skin tones are martian like.

I got eye one or something like that.

and when I sample my white to adjust my wb, it turns green...but the controls aren't correlating with what I see.

What did you use to calibrate?

I use Spyder II and it works pretty well.

i think its called eye one x-rite. There is also banding on the color chooser window in ps...the one that shows white to black and a color ... sorry my lingo sux

X-Rite is the company and Eye-One is a product range. The actual product you have is likely to be called the Display 2 or Display XT or something like that.

Colour calibration can not just be done at the press of a button and expect it to work. You need to consider the environment and what you are trying to achieve. Is the room lit by fluros? The calibrated monitor will look different to when it's lit by incandescents. Also many screens do not play nicely with calibration and can take a bit of playing around.

Tell us about the software and what settings you were calibrating against. Tell us about the lighting in your room and the exact process you used to calibrate your screen.

i.e.
how long did you let the screen warm up for before calibration?
what colour temperature target did you calibrate too? 6500k? What is the normal CT of the monitor? If they are very different you are asking for trouble.
did you turn the room lights off before calibrating?
do the room lights shine directly on the screen?

Also as for the branding issue if you have an LCD that pretty much going to be a problem that you can't eliminate. It's pretty much non existent on top of the range 12bit monitors but on most 8bit screens you will see this, and to make things worse most of the LCD panels are actually 6bit. You won't eliminate it so easily.

Well see, I just push the button and the eye does it for me. Thats what the directions tell me to do. Its the X-Rite EODIS2 Eye-One Display 2. I believe I have the 24 inch Ultrasharp™ 2408WFP Digital Flat Panel from Dell. And my video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT if that matters. The banding is new after calibration. Never had that before. I also noticed, even though one person who said they were calibrated told me my skin tones were green, the prints didn't look that way and no one else had mentioned that.

It told me to turn off the monitor for 30 minutes, which I did.
I dont know anything about color temperatures and my monitor...how would I come across that information?
All lights were off in the room (they usually are, I use ambient light but it was night when I did it)

I am really wishing I had just left it alone :(

I am not sure if this is the bit you are talking about, but on the display settings it says the colors are 32 bit. I also have the option of 16

I recalibrate using the laptop mode and it seems to have worked besides a very slight pinkish tint. They do have advanced setting about temp etc but I haven't the faintist idea how to use that.

I can offer only a theory that the software is a fault. Which software are you using the calibrator with.

The Dell monitors designated WFP are wide gamut displays meaning their redders are redder than the normal red the computer expects them to be displayed. Same with the green and the blue. The issue is now that the screen is normally pink unless you have a carefully colourmanaged process which means feeding windows and photoshop a colour profile which you could download from Dell's website. This would make photos appear correct and prevent you accidentally processing them in a green direction.

That was then... I guess that the calibration software itself is not coping the way you were doing it before.

Try this. Now that you say things have a slight pink tinge open up an image in photoshop and check if they are still pink or if they are right (as the calibration software would automatically load the above mentioned colour profile correctly)

There are free sites that tell you if you even need to calibrate your montor. They ask if you can see this or if that looks darker than that or if the box appears black, etc.. Don't take the word of people viewing your pictures online, because their monitor may not be right.

Here's just one:

Monitor Calibration

Most reactions

New Topics

Back