Calibrating your monitor

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by cleary71, Jun 8, 2005.

1. cleary71

cleary71 TPF Noob!

I was wondering if there is any programs or rules to go by to calibrate your monitor. When I view pictures at home and put them on my website everything looks great, but when I view them at work they always look very dark. I understand that it is probably dependent on every monitor, but I was hoping I could, at the very least, figure out which one is closer to the real world's view. If anyone has any tricks or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    yes there are. I'd say you how I did this and found it perfect. I went to the lab which makes my prints and asked for colour profile of their machine. They sent me it on my e-mail and then I added it to PS as the main colour profile. Then I took one colourful print. I put the print next to my monitor and played with the buttons on it to suit the colours... After about 3 hours of playing I got amazing results - the same as they are on my print. And now I have the prints that look exactly like pictures on my monitor. No matter if they are black and white or colourful. That is the best way to do this.

EDIT: and I did the same with my laptop which I rarely use for photos but sometimes I just view them on it. Now I see the "reality" and real colours.

3. Daniel

Daniel TPF Noob!

I disagree here, still the best way to do it is to calibrate the monitor with at least a colorimeter or even better a spectrophotometer. If you are serious about your work, there is no way around it. Go and spend the 200$, it's well worth it.

Some might say, that this is too much money. But hey, you spend 2000$ and more on your camera and lenses, but you are not able to see what your pictures really look like?

4. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Of course; What You See Is What You Get color has a lot of options open to interpretation. I calibrated my monitor to my printer. Again; it was a three hour process. My prints mean more than anything to me, so that was the reasoning behind that process.

Monitors and printers and presses vary greatly. Getting a profile from the output device takes a lot of guess work out of the equation. The best way to understand what is happening to your image is through the info and channel palettes in Photoshop.

5. Patrick

Patrick TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to agree with Daniel on this one. I struggled with it for years and frustrated I purchased a colorimeter from B&H last year. The ease of use and results are wonderful. The price seems painful at first but it's well worth the money.

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

So it reads the color off of your monitor? Then what? I could see it's application in translating PMS colors in the Graphic Arts process. I do not see it in the Photo process.

7. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Photos OK to edit
    here is one device that is meant to do this. Basically (as far as I understand; I have never actually used one), what it does it is runs some tests on your monitor and then it uses software to translate the readings it takes into a profile for your monitor so that your computer knows exactly how your monitor will display certain colors. Having a profile for your monitor and a profile for your printer means that your computer will know that if you're seeing a certain color on screen, then the printer will print it in a different way, and the computer will then be able to adjust accordingly to ensure that what you see on screen is what you get in print.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Whoa! I like the idea. Somehow I wish I could borrow one as opposed to paying for it.

9. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Considering that your monitor will need re-calibrating at least once a month, if not every 2 weeks, it makes sense to buy one.

10. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    I have never heard about colorimeters, but I think that "my method" is enough for me. $200 is my monthly salary right now so I'm not even willing to get one colorimeter :)But thanks for the info :)

11. Raymond J Barlow

Raymond J Barlow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I used the Adobe gamma set up wizard, seemed to help me a lot.