Calling all Wedding and Event Photogs..

zendianah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zenphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't posted for awhile I have been busy. My question is when you shoot a wedding do you use anything to download your cards on site? Is there anything besides a laptop? I have enough equip and cannot carry one more thing unless its portable.

Thank you in advance... :)

There's a lot of devices dedicated for his purpose, some with screens, some without. I used to use an Archos device to transfer my CF cards over but i don't use CF now.

Yes, there are many 'portable storage' devices.

I don't download anything on site, I don't think I could find time to do that. Although, I know a few photographers who do.

If it's a big wedding, I'll sometimes send my assistant to unload pictures from the cards as they fill up. But, I usually find it easier to just carry tons of cards and do it when I get home.

If it's a big wedding, I'll sometimes send my assistant to unload pictures from the cards as they fill up. But, I usually find it easier to just carry tons of cards and do it when I get home.

ok.. right now i carry 4 - 4gb cards - and 3 - 2gb cards... So Im good on cards... I thought maybe as a packup in case the cards fail..

It would take some sort of emergency for me to off load and overwrite a card at an event. I make sure that I have plenty of card space and a handful of backup cards just in case.

Redundancy is a good idea but IMO, card failure is a lot less likely than 'portable storage device' failure. Cards are probably the safest place to have the images...but of course there is always the chance of loosing them.

They are not cheap. Some of the most popular are the Epson ones:
P3000 P6000.
I know a guy who uses a Wolverine version but he says it is very slow.

Something new we have started doing is using an Acer Aspire One Laptop to do this.
The laptop is one of the new netbooks. It has a 120 gig hard drive, 8.9” screen, Wireless b and g. There is no optical drive, but I can transfer everything across my network.

We have started using this on site to back up cards via a USB Card reader for compact flash, most other cards can plug right in.
You can get it with Windows XP and a 6-cell battery good for about 5 hours of use.
So far I have been very happy with this setup and the best part is it is under $400.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back