Calling Out ANDS

Beth81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
All told if you went with this:
Nikon D80
Nikon Nikkor 50MM F/1.8
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Total Cost: 781.90 with 10 dollars or so shipping. That would still be 100 dollars or more less than a new D90 that will do everything you want.

the link to the d80 is no longer available. I'm wondering was this a new or used d80 thats here? Also what's the difference in the lens you have here and the 18-55 (kit lens)? And would the SB -800 speedlight be any better then the SB-600 speedlight?

I know I ask a lot of questions....but it all comes down to learning. I've learned more from this forum and talking to you all then I have trying to do research on my own. :D;):mrgreen:

what's the difference in the lens you have here and the 18-55 (kit lens)? And would the SB -800 speedlight be any better then the SB-600 speedlight?

these are some crazy questions, but i'm guessing your REALLLLLY new... there are some major differences in the 50mm lens and the 18-55.. the first one is, the 50mm is a prime lens, which means, no zoom of any sort.. it stays at 50mm.. its an amazing lens for the price... I sugget you do a search for "nifty fifty" in the forum and you will see some great shots taken with it..

as for the sb-800 and 600.. of course the 800 is going to be better than the 600.. but for most people, the 600 is plenty of speedlight

Used D80
50MM F/1.8
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-600-Speedlight-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0002EMY9Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232727971&sr=8-1]SB-600[/ame]

The link to the SB600 goes to an Amazon listing, but the retailer is still Adorama. The reason I did that is because Adorama and BHPhoto have lost their damn minds and are charging 224 bucks for the outdated SB600. Ridiculous.

429 for refurbished D80
109 for new 50MM
548.20 through BHPhoto.

200 bucks including shipping for the SB600.

You're still coming in under the cost of a New D90 whose only features will be a larger screen, better high iso performance, marginal pixel increase and - WOOHOO! - HDVideo.

In no reality would I recommend someone getting the SB800 over the SB600 if they are a hobbyist shooter for a few reasons:

The SB800 is of course "better" than the SB600, however the added features and utilities you may well never use.

If, and when, you become more comfortable with shooting, you will find you want multiple flashes anyway; the SB600 can still be formed into (cheaper) flash groups, but if you MUST have a robust controller for the flashes, the SB800 can be set up as such. Save the money now and spend it later when you need it.

About the only thing I would want on the SB800 over the SB600 is a dedicated wireless shooting button, but this saves all of 5 seconds; nothing major when you are in a CONTROLLED shooting environment.

So there you go. The cost of the above package has gotten cheaper. I would jump on it before it goes away again.

Why do you recommend the 50 mm over the 18-55 mm which zooms when the other doesn't?

If you can get the 18-55, get it. It's not a bad lens. However, it WILL be overpriced when bundled with a camera body. The 18-55 should be priced no more than the 50MM as far as I'm concerned (its actually about 150 bucks on its own). As for why I would get it first, well the 50MM is an awesome lens - can be used for portraits, man on the street type shot, action shots, etc. etc. For a few months, it was the only lens I had, and it was pretty sweet. Plus, you will be MORE inclined to continue if you are taking good shots on a GREAT lens, versus so-so shots on an OK lens. I know, when I first got a 50MM and experimented with the shallow DOF it was able to produce, that I got excited, looking at how rich and crisp it was sending back the images to me.

But thats just me.

Now, if you chose, to forgo the SB600, you could cut that out, and pick up the 18-55 VR lens from BHPhoto, and further save some cash.

This is also a pretty good deal.

So to summarize:

D80 w/ 50MM F/1.8 and SB600 - 750 bucks.
D80 with 50MM F/1.8 and 18-55 VR - 779 bucks.
D80 with 50MM F/1.8 and 55-200 VR - 799 bucks w/ free shipping.

If you can get the 18-55, get it. It's not a bad lens. However, it WILL be overpriced when bundled with a camera body. The 18-55 should be priced no more than the 50MM as far as I'm concerned (its actually about 150 bucks on its own). As for why I would get it first, well the 50MM is an awesome lens - can be used for portraits, man on the street type shot, action shots, etc. etc. For a few months, it was the only lens I had, and it was pretty sweet. Plus, you will be MORE inclined to continue if you are taking good shots on a GREAT lens, versus so-so shots on an OK lens. I know, when I first got a 50MM and experimented with the shallow DOF it was able to produce, that I got excited, looking at how rich and crisp it was sending back the images to me.

But thats just me.

Now, if you chose, to forgo the SB600, you could cut that out, and pick up the 18-55 VR lens from BHPhoto, and further save some cash.

This is also a pretty good deal.

So to summarize:

D80 w/ 50MM F/1.8 and SB600 - 750 bucks.
D80 with 50MM F/1.8 and 18-55 VR - 779 bucks.
D80 with 50MM F/1.8 and 55-200 VR - 799 bucks w/ free shipping.

Oh my that is a really good deal....I do value your advice and I was just wondering that's all. If you say go with the 50mm then I will. I just thought that since the 18-55 comes in closer I could use that for some really great close up shots. But hey your the experienced one....:mrgreen:

The 50MM will get you close enough. And with the SB600, you can set up ad-hoc lil portrait sessions. Add to that the "creativity" inherent in the 50MM F/1.8, and you may well not find yourself wanting another lens for awhile. The only reason to get the 18-55, is for use as a general walk around and when you want to get wider (and no, don't buy into the 'your feet are your zoom' nonsense).

So what if I buy the d80 that comes with the18-55 and the 55-200, and I buy the 50mm to have also?

That would be a good package. Overall what is your budget. Personally, I would get the body online and see what local sellers (Craigslist) have lenses up, but thats me.

I had in mind to spend around a grand, maybe a little more but if I can come out cheaper then hey i'm all for saving money. I only gave myself that budget because I had first planned to buy the d90. I do intend to go ahead and buy a speedlight also. I want to get everything I can while I have a little extra money because I may not come across extra money again for a long while lol. I'm waiting on income tax to get all of this anyway. So i was thinking the camera, those 3 lenses and speedlight. Of course maybe check into a tri pod if I need one and carrying case and all that good stuff but those are not must haves right now I don't guess. If anything I can get a carrying case from walmart Lol. I don't know about the screen covers and lens caps and all that stuff either...

And you also recommended the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 lens? Do you recommend I get it over the 50mm lens? Is Sigma "better" than Nikkor lens?

Thats if you can find. I would not recommend buying it new. Cameta used to have it for 219.00, but you can probably find it somewhere else. I saw one on eBay for 230 which is an "ok" deal on it. The only positives over the 50MM is that that 24-60 is a walk around lens, and fairly fast. The F/1.8 is of course faster and sharper sure, but if I had to make a decision between the two, I would get the Sigma over the Nikon only because of the Sigmas utility. With that, you can toss the 18-55 and the 50MM (for now) and come out about the same cost wise.

Well I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, and I'll end up sticking with the Nikkors for now until I learn everything. LOL I'm like a child. I get anxious, and I get ahead of myself. Thanks for explaining everything.

Most reactions

Back