Calling the experts- guys please give me some urgent advise!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by vsentz, Sep 10, 2009.

1. vsentz

vsentz TPF Noob!

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum... and somewhat new to photography.

I studied arts and graphics and currently I am a web developer/designer. But... I've always enjoyed my camera and picture taking... of everything and anything... specially of my daughter (16 months).

I saw an opening at Our365 company here where I live (around Lancaster, PA) and applied. To my surprise they called me back!

I would be taking portraits of babies (1 month to 5 years) in their home (about 1 hr to 1 1/2 radius of my home) and working 4 days a week (with one day a weekend). This is a 9-6 job, and I only have to step in the office once a week to deliver my work.

I have NOOOO idea whatsoever of what's coming. I know I would absolutely enjoy working with little kids and photography, since those two are my biggest passions!! but the pay... do you guys know if it would be a decent pay? I need to make at least 39 K a year to cover my bills... at least! =(

Any body with advise, or anyone that would know a ballpark (salary of these people) would be greatly appreciated! I am very excited to switch careers... and would s&ck if this would be a scam.... or a not very well paid job that I couldn't afford... =(

My interview is on Tuesday... and I just want to get an idea of what might happen =)

Thank you!!!!:sexywink:

2. docphysics

docphysics TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Not sure if it helps, but salary.com puts median base salary for photographer in Lancaster, PA at $50K. But I don't know what demographic of photographers they are using for their numbers.

3. vsentz

vsentz TPF Noob!

thank you so much docphysics, I actually looked it up on career builder salary calculator... and saw 10.75 to 17 dollars an hour... =S not too much if you take in consideration that it's only 4 days a week. Now if they'd offer commission, then it might change... even still... I'm not quite sure yet. I guess I'd have to wait till the actual interview to make my decision.

Thanks for the feedback!!:sexywink:

4. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You have to pay for this, in travel time and transportation. Are they going to cover your costs (gas, insurance, etc.)? What if your car breaks down? These are considerations to talk about at the interview.