camera advice!

nick161

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok well i am completley new at this whole photography type thing but am really intersted in getting into it, i think i may have knack for photography..but i recently bought my first very crappy camera and it was really crappy nothing special! so i need some advice on what type of camera would be suitable for me! ill give you seem insiders, i love the outdoors,taking pictures of plants,trees,fishs,birds,the beach! also i like taking all kinds of photos! HELP! all advice is appreciated tips whatever! thanks

Unfortunately there is one big question we've got to get out of the way up front:

What is your budget?

Also, do you think you'd be better served by a nice small point and shoot you can drop in a coat pocket and go? Or are you looking for a more "professional style" camera, possible a DSLR with interchangeable lenses?

yes i always afraid of that umm..i'll say around 200 dollars..well im not sure what do you think for starting out? i'm kind of leaning towards the point and shoot.

yes i always afraid of that umm..i'll say around 200 dollars..well im not sure what do you think for starting out? i'm kind of leaning towards the point and shoot.

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you won't get much with only $200...not a digital camera anyway. Maybe something used :scratch:

I think you should try to decide what you want out of this hobby (some would call it a passion). Most likely, if you spend $200...you will sooner or later be in the same predicament...you have a camera that you have outgrown. If you really want to learn and grow in photography, it would really help if you had gear that didn't hold you back.

I might even suggest that you consider a film SLR camera. It will be much cheaper than a good digital camera, but you would have to buy film and pay for processing. Alternatively, you could try to stretch your budget to afford a decent digital camera.

I would really recommend a digital SLR camera, but they aren't cheap. The cheapest one would probably be a used Canon Digital Rebel. Check around, you may find them for $200-$300.

You could still learn a lot with a non-SLR type digital camera, but make sure that you get a model that has the 'creative' modes. P (auto), Tv (shutter priority), Av (aperture priority) and M (manual).

I might even suggest that you consider a film SLR camera. It will be much cheaper than a good digital camera, but you would have to buy film and pay for processing. Alternatively, you could try to stretch your budget to afford a decent digital camera.

I agree with this. If you are serious about this, I would probably say get a nice film SLR and start learn the basics with it. Otherwise, save up and get a DSLR. It all really depends on how much you think you really want to do this, and to what level. For a lower end kit, you are looking at the $600 range for a DSLR.

If you just want to "dip-your-toes-in-the-water" borrow a friends camera.

I've gotten a few people started in photography by loaning them a little Canon S2 I have.

Spending a whopping $200, will probably end up with the "camera" in a drawer somewhere and you missing out on some of lifes really satisfying moments.

While the prevailing sentiment on this site is going to be "Save up for a DSLR", there is a selection of what are called "SLR-Like" cameras available for your price range, which are going to offer a lot of the manual controls and features of a SLR without the price. What you sacrifice with the fixed-lens SLR-like cameras is customizability, quality, and growth potential.

Check out the Kodak Easyshare line. The Z712 goes for around $200 and will give you a lot better quality than the compact point and shoots you're probably used to, and it includes aperture priority, shutter priority, and full manual modes that will let you experiment and learn a few of the intricacies of photography. This will let you figure out if you're really interested in photography, or just want something to snap shots with. There's a chance that in a year you'll wish you had saved up for the true DSLR, but that's the price you pay for having a limited budget.

well rightnow im looking at the nikon fm10 and i have found some pretty good deals on it so far on EBAY once i am sure this is the one im going to pst all what is coming in the package...hmm...contemplating buying it new or used........ and definitley going to look into borrowing a friends for a week or so to see how i like !!

thanks so much guys for your help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back