Camera and Lens Questions.

theheater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently in the market for a new camera. I want it to be digital, and I am currently beginning. I have a Kodak P880 right now, and want to move to a DSLR that will give me more control over lenses, etc. So, with that being said, what recommendations do you have? I am looking at spending about $1500 all together.... I do many landscapes, and trying to get more into portrait photography now as well. I also love the fisheye lenses, and want something like that... but figure it may get old after a while.... if I can find 1 or 2 lenses that can do the majority of what I ask, I really appreciate your help.

My recommendation is to go to some shops and take a look at what dSLRs are available. Don't worry about specifications or brand name (and whatever you do, don't let anyone convince you that megapixels are the most important thing)... just play around with them, think about which ones you like the look and feel of, and that will help you narrow it down.

That probably wasn't what you wanted to hear. But I can't recommend the best camera for you to buy because I'm not you. Looking at your requirements...
  • You want more "control over lenses" - any dSLR system will provide interchangeable lenses and the option of full manual control over focus and exposure.
  • You like landscapes and portraits - any dSLR system has the lenses to make this possible.
  • You're considering a fisheye lens - to my knowledge every dSLR system offers fisheye lenses.
... so nothing there really points you toward one system in particular.
It's easy to put too much thought into what camera to buy, and not enough into the lenses, flashes and other components of the dSLR system. On the other hand, I believe it's also possible to worry too much about the 'system' when any system offers far more than the majority of SLR owners will ever own. We all have different priorities and requirements in a camera body and in a 'system', therefore to my mind a trip to the shops to handle the cameras is as good a place to start as any, and probably a lot better than starting by looking at spec comparison charts.

As for lenses, well you haven't made it easy for us ;) A fisheye lens is a fisheye, it won't double as anything else. So if you wanted 2 lenses to do everything, and a fisheye was one of those lenses, then the other would probably have to cover wide-angle all the way to a telephoto length suitable for portraits. You could get a do-it-all lens like an 18-200mm, or you could have two separate lenses to cover that range. I would be inclined to forget the fisheye at first and concentrate on one or two more conventional lenses, since you yourself suggested you might get bored with the fisheye.

...and am not sure you're going to see an enormous improvement after spending $1,500 on a DSLR. The zoom range is superior to any DSLR lens I've seen (24-140) and the lens is superior to any DLSR zoom I've seen in terms of CA and sharpness. Note that I have two 20D's and an "L" Canon lens. Unless you're going to shoot commercial work or do weddings, what exactly is it that you want from another camera?

Your P880 had total manual control, ISO 50-400, 8MP and a great lens...

I shoot canon so I'll give you Canon advice.

Canon 20D if you can find an unsold one at a store, or a Digital Rebel XTi if you have to settle (or an XT and save the money for lenses, which is a good idea). BODY ONLY

Then get the lovable Canon EF 50 1:1.8 II and
And a Sigma or Tamron 18-50 1:2.8
Later on if you want more in the telephoto end, try to save up for a Canon 70-200 f/4 L

Most reactions

New Topics

Back