Camera and the Cold!

mudthirsty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shanemacaulay.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im going camping in central Ontario in a couple weeks. The temperature is on average about 6C during the day, and -4C at night. Since we are camping in tents, there will be no source of heat for the entire weekend. Do you think a digital camera is ok in the cold? I know film would be risky. I have the Canon Rebel Xti.

Thanks,

Shane

The key is to avoid rapid changes in temperature, and as the manual suggest - use an airtight bag to reduce condensation in cases were this presents a difficulty... allowing the camera reach ambient temperature before removal & use.

Though being in the SW, I do not have practical experience and fellow campers should have 'real' tips.

-Shea

I recently had worse temperature variations ... from -8 to +12 between night and day. Camping outside for three weeks. No problems whatsoever for the camera or lenses. Usually, when you do camping, there are no strong heat sources which will get the camera to a temperature very different from the outside temperature. This is good. If you stayed in cabins you would have to be more careful.

be careful about your batteries though. they suffer in the cold. best take them into your sleeping bag at night, and have the spare ones close to your body in daytime.

Edit: done similar things more than once, at least my 5D and film cameras never had problems with humidity, even when it was raining a lot. never used airtight bags, except when fording rivers.

Last edited:
ive been hiking in -30C without issue. was out the whole day, and didnt even have to change the battery. on the way out and back, the camera road in the back of the truck, so no heat, and when i got home, it sat in its bag for about an hour, before i pulled it out and downloaded the pictures, other than that, no special treatment, and no issues.

dsc_3625.jpg

I have used both film and digital cameras down to -40 degrees without a problem.

skieur

wow, very cool, thanks for the pic to prove it! Love the icy eyelashes. It wont be that cold, but Im hoping to come back with some good "soon to be winter" pics!

thanks! it was a cold day thats for sure, ill take some summer on the beach pics any day instead!!

wchua24 said:
nice pic you got there zorac..

thanks again!

Most reactions

Back