camera backpack?

spiffybeth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking into buying one...

ive been looking at Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG because i like how large it is and how much it can hold...i can bring film and digital and there's enough room for my 70-200mm f/2.8, and it has straps for my tripod. the major drawback to it is that its not weather sealed.

the other backpack ive been looking into the the lowepro slingshot but i cant determine the smallest size id have to get in order to fit the 70-200mm (i know the A300 fits it) and they seem very small...but on the other hand, its weather sealed and i like the single strap rather than a normal two strapped backpack.

comments? suggestions for a completely different bag? does anyone here have either? love it? hate it?

best thing you could do is get all your kit together and go down to a store and try them on. You won't know how the backpack feels on your back till you do and its hard/impossible to know if all your kit will fit from a webshot nor how secure it will be either.
The other thing is that I (personally) would really go for weather sealing on the backpack. That way even in heavy rain you don't have to worry and rush (don't want to trip with all that stuff)

normal photo backpacks I think more versatile than slingshots. also i feel safer with a normal backpack when running, crawling, or attaching something to it (tripod etc ...)

but that might just be personal taste.

overrated, i havent found a store near me that carries such items in the store. :(

alex, is your normal one weather sealed?

hmm not sure about your area spiffy, but try searching round the internet. Most stores have a website and most towns have a shop list somewhere online. If you still can't find one try thinking about the trains - you might be able to get to a larger town for the day.
Oh and one thing I remember another person saying : don't skimp on quality (or price) with a camera bag. Your putting a lot of expensive kit in it so its really worth getting a good model and make!

Actually ,currently I am even on a standard northface backpack, for which I have a rain cover if needed.
So my solution looks as follows:
Inside this northface backpack I can place my REZO AW (forgot the number) which holds on camera body plus a standard zoom and my wide angle zoom plus some filters, batteries and so on. If needed it additionally holds my 300mm and 50mm primes plus my bulky pano head. From the outside it looks totally non-photo related, just like a full backpack.

While shooting I usually get out the Rezo pack then and have it over my shoulder, giving me quick access.

This all started out as an improvised solution first, but then I realised it is so convenient that I kept it that way.

SS300 will hold the 70-200.
SS200 won't.

SS300 has enough room to carry everything I take with me.
2 bodies, 4 lenses (24-70,70-200,12-24,50), portable hard drive (plus filters, rechargers, small crap)

The hip belt take about 70% of the weight off and I like the sling-around aspect.

Have used water cover several times and it works well.

Not perfect but works for me.
(I had 200 and sold it when I bought new lenses and ss300)

SS300 will hold the 70-200.
SS200 won't.

SS300 has enough room to carry everything I take with me.
2 bodies, 4 lenses (24-70,70-200,12-24,50), portable hard drive (plus filters, rechargers, small crap)

The hip belt take about 70% of the weight off and I like the sling-around aspect.

Have used water cover several times and it works well.

Not perfect but works for me.
(I had 200 and sold it when I bought new lenses and ss300)
thank you very much for this information!

I have the smallest Lowepro (slingshot 100 I believe) and love it. It has the water proof cover that's easy to put on and the single strap makes it VERY easy to get gear. I can usually change filters while walking which can be nice if you're in a crowd or with a group of people that you don't want to hold up.

Things I don't like about the Lowepro 100 (bigger models might have these features) is that it doesn't have straps for a tripod (though I can just hang it on the strap and it does the trick) or a laptop. Not sure if you fly ever but having to carry a messanger bag and a camera bag can be a pain.

Other than that it's a perfect bag for me. It does have the single strap but there's a secondary strap you can snap into the primary to help stabilize it. It's probably not as secure as a traditional backpack but it's close enough that I don't consider it an issue.

Hope that helps!!!

SpiffyBeth....I have the Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG that you are asking about and I love it. I don't have a ton of equipment but I still have plenty of room. I store in it:

D70s
18-55
50mm f1.8
Sigma 70-300 APO
SB-600
Plenty of tidbits like Stofen, caps, cables, etc....

I still have plenty of room and could probably add 2-3 decent size lenses to the mix before it's full. The greatest thing is that I can store my D70s with the 70-300 attached plus lens hood on normal and it fits just fine with room to spare.

I'd highly reccomend the Canon bag and it's very comfy to carry around. Also nice how it's got the straps to hold a tripod on the outside (I haven't tried that yet though).

not sure if I should be glad that people care enough about me to be rating me or saddened that I am overrated -- I want to see the rates first!
omg. im so sorry. i always ready your name as overrated :blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

i really meant no offense :hug::

SpiffyBeth....I have the Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG that you are asking about and I love it. I don't have a ton of equipment but I still have plenty of room. I store in it:

D70s
18-55
50mm f1.8
Sigma 70-300 APO
SB-600
Plenty of tidbits like Stofen, caps, cables, etc....

I still have plenty of room and could probably add 2-3 decent size lenses to the mix before it's full. The greatest thing is that I can store my D70s with the 70-300 attached plus lens hood on normal and it fits just fine with room to spare.

I'd highly reccomend the Canon bag and it's very comfy to carry around. Also nice how it's got the straps to hold a tripod on the outside (I haven't tried that yet though).
and what about if it rains? what do you do then?

I have the smallest Lowepro (slingshot 100 I believe) and love it. It has the water proof cover that's easy to put on and the single strap makes it VERY easy to get gear. I can usually change filters while walking which can be nice if you're in a crowd or with a group of people that you don't want to hold up.

Things I don't like about the Lowepro 100 (bigger models might have these features) is that it doesn't have straps for a tripod (though I can just hang it on the strap and it does the trick) or a laptop. Not sure if you fly ever but having to carry a messanger bag and a camera bag can be a pain.

Other than that it's a perfect bag for me. It does have the single strap but there's a secondary strap you can snap into the primary to help stabilize it. It's probably not as secure as a traditional backpack but it's close enough that I don't consider it an issue.

That secondary strap works well to secure the pack when you sling it on your left shoulder.

The 300 doesn't have that strap. The hip-belt would make it rather cumbersome. I got the slingshot because I am usually walking and shooting - rather than packing somewhere and setting up. My typical behavior is to pack it very full to travel (so all of it stays with me on the plane), then off-load the stuff I won't need during the day to make it lighter.

I am getting ready to 'customize' my 300. Very few packs (including the 300) are big enough for the 70-200 unmounted on of the side pockets. I am reworking mine to allow that and will probably add a strap and pocket for a monopod.

Most reactions

Back