Camera Backpacks - Where to Buy? What Brands?

Any of the LowePro bags that are marked "AW" are from my own personal experience extremely water tight. I have one of the Orion packs that have the camera comparment with a daypackon top and I took it on a trip to Mexico. One day wihle we were out there was a rainstorm of monsoon proportions and I was stuck in it for a good 15-20 minutes and not a drop got inside my bag. Of course i did have the raincover deployed and it kept everything dry.

I need a camera bag that can fit my D80 with 80-200 f/2.8 attached AND fit my 17" macbook.....My husband doesn't think they exist.

I believe Lowepro and Tamrac both had some that would fit a 17" macbook. Check BH photo video (link top right of page) and they'll have some. I think the larger version of Big Mike's bag will fit 17"... the CompuTrekker AW Plus.

Lowepro also makes the Dryzone which is suppose to be water-tight. They are largish, but is suppose to float if driopped in water. I personally use Kata for my camera bags. A bit heavy for their size, but well padded and built like a tank. They all come with rain covers if it does pour but I never really had to use them, since the nylon normally whisk the rain away. Backpacks are nice to carry a lot of gear over a long period, but access is a pain sometimes since you have to take them off. I also have a shoulder/waist pack for light travel days, along with a sling-type bag for walk-arounds.

Dryzone would be neat, and since I own a boat that has a constant leak....that would be super! However, the Dryzones are expensive, and I don't ever need to take all my gear in my boat.

Thanks Keith. We are gonna go to a store in Little Italy that has a huge selection so I am hoping they will have one of those there. If not...I can always order :)

I had a Lowepro Dryzone and it was absolutely waterproof and great protection for the camera equipment, but very heavy for me to carry around. I guess you have to make some kind of compromise. Either you get a bag that is waterproof or one that is comfortable to carry around. I've found out that a completely waterproof bag is not necessary, for me at least.

I have the Lowepro AW200 Slingshot. I can fit my D80 w/55-200mm lens attached and 3 more lenses, plus a compartment for filters, another inside pocket holds remote shutter release, several memory cards & small bits & pieces. The top pocket carries the SB-800, extra battery and a couple of granola bars. Outside pocket holds "stuff" like adapter rings, packet of gum, mini-lite and other junk. The outside loops will hold my monopod and a lens case...so far. If packed to the "gills", it does wear on your right shoulder, so I thinking for the all day hikes to get a proper backpack that distributes the weight more evenly. The rain cover is a definite positive, however, we're in a drought here in the South, so I haven't had a chance to use it. My old Lowepro has one and it really worked in times of need.

I bought a Lowepro CompuDayPack about 2 weeks ago and got a smokin great deal on e-bay - really, I don't know how they do it (I know, I'm kidding myself, I'm sure there is an empty truck dumped in the woods somewhere<G>). A local retailer sells this backpack for $159 (CDN) and I got it for $47 (US) including shipping and it was brand new with tags and all...

It holds my 17" laptop, Pentax K10D w/18-55 lens, Sigma 28-80/f3.6, Sigma 55-200/f5 and Tamron 100-300/f5, an AF360 flash and a Pentax 50/f2, charger (both camera and laptop), cables, remote shutter, 2 sets of 4xAA NiMH batteries and a bottle of water! The bottom has room for a couple of straps so I can even tie my tripod to it for hiking around the race track. I've taken it on two shoots so far and love it although it is a bit big for everyday sitting on the back seat of the car.

It doesn't have the AW cover, but I'm made of candy anyway... <G>

I have the Tamrac Expedition 5. If you want to see it, I can bring it to the office. Let me know.

Tommy

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363835-REG/Tamrac_557501_5575_Expedition_5_Backpack.html

The Tamrac Expedition 5 looks real nice. It's sort-of in my budget. (I haven't set a budget, so let's make it fit)

It looks like it'll fit what I need to, and it'll give me room for more gear down the road. It doesn't have a laptop compartment...but I don't really need that. And, it doesn't have a food/clothes compartment...but I can probably cram stuff in unused pockets :).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back