Camera Bag

Aruzuriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking to get a camera bag that I can use not only to store my camera but also laptop notebooks ect. Basically since I'm a college student and still have a long way to go with photography(especially equipment:() my needs for a bag solely aren't for photo gear.

Like I said I want something that can not only store my camera but I can still use when I actually do get more gear. Also it's important that I would be able to store a laptop in it and some notebooks and things like that. Style wise I wanted something that didn't scream camera bag and I could just use without standing out for any reason. Importantly overall I want something to store my camera that I can really take anywhere so I can have my camera with me as much as I can so I can actually use it. :lol:

So far I have found this one which I like the style, removeable camera insert is nice as well.
Tenba | Laptop Messenger Bag, Large (Olive Green) | 638-232

Any input, thoughts on this bag and suggestions recommendations would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Bag choice is a pretty personal decision...and it's hard to know what is the right choice until you actually use them for a while. I suggest going into a well stocked camera store and seeing the bags in person. Bring you camera, computer and some other stuff, so you can test it out.

I've got a bag that might fit your criteria, it's the LowePro Computrekker AW. It's a backpack style bag that has a laptop sleeve, generous camera gear area and additional storage outside of the area. The AW is 'all weather' and so the bag as a pull out rain cover.
It's not a perfect bag, but I've taken it with me all over the world.

I also recommend getting a backpack style bag. My old laptop bag was the one shoulder type, and when I took a trip to Europe a couple of years ago, I was getting shoulder cramps due to all the weight being on one shoulder. I actually recently bought a bag that exactly fits your description. Here it is:

Tamrac 3380 Bag

I have a 50d with a battery grip, 55-250IS lens, 50mm f/1.8, and 18-55mm kit lens, tons of backup batteries and other assorted goodies that fit in the camera section beautifully. It also has a slot for a laptop. I have a netbook, which is basically swimming in the huge pocket. It's also weatherproof, which I can vouch for. Got caught in a downpour this weekend and everything that was inside of my bag stayed dry. Unfortunately, my camera was not, so I can say that the 50d is also pretty water resistant. The thing that I liked the most about it is that it also has an all purpose storage area that you can throw whatever you need in there too. I usually keep a shirt and the charger to my laptop in there with an ipod or whatever else I need. It makes it really great for a carryon bag.

The only complaint that I have with the bag is that you have to take it all the way off to get at the stuff inside. They have other bags that have solved this issue, but it's really not a huge deal anyway.

Good luck with the decision!

Shoulder bags are awesome and can store a ton of stuff; just as long as you're not carrying it constantly for hours at a time.

My brand of choice is Crumpler. They make nice non-camera-looking bags. They can be a bit pricey though.

I have shoulder bag for shoots where I need to bring everything. I toss everything in and I have it with me, but I often don't have to carry the bag much farther than from my car to the location we're shooting at. I do have a back pack for days that I'm required to carry stuff around with me all day. I really try and pack lighter for those days.

First off thanks for the input. Interesting on both the backpack recommendations. I think the only reason I was picturing a shoulder bag was I figured it would be quick to access if I just wanted to stop and shoot something I noticed. I do like to be outdoors and figured I would eventually get something more suited to that for when I do go out, which isn't as often as I'd like, which would probably be a backpack.

No offense to your suggestion mike but I like Roberts better if I went with a backpack because I don't have a lot of equipment and it seems to have enough room to hold others thing as well. Also Crumpler does have some nice back but don't know if(at least the ones I looked at) really fit what I am looking for but thanks.

Now backpack vs shoulder bag I'm not sure what I should get. Like I said I figured shoulder bag would be nice for quick easy access but also are common bags(even more so on a college campus) and just wouldn't stand out much. I can see where if it had a lot in it where it might be uncomfortable for long hauls which I really dont do often, even when go walks and such typically I wouldn't be out for too long. While as backpacks can be fast to get out generally not as fast, still can hold a lot, , good for hikes and walks because it spreads weight and is held closer to your body.

Again thanks for the input so far and any more input would be great. Sorry I'm being difficult I'm an indecisive person and makes buying things a pain for me haha.

The perfect solution would be 2 bags... a backpack that holds everything for long excursions, and a shoulder bag that holds less with quick access for short trips.

I'm paranoid though. I don't want the reason I miss a shot to ever be that I don't have the right lens on me.

i have the tamrac expedition 6x bag. they sell them on amazon.com and calumetphoto.com for about 190 dollars. it can hold 2 slrs, lenses, filters, batteries and a laptop. its a very good bag :) also holds a tripod and feels comfortable to wear

The perfect solution would be 2 bags... a backpack that holds everything for long excursions, and a shoulder bag that holds less with quick access for short trips.

I'm paranoid though. I don't want the reason I miss a shot to ever be that I don't have the right lens on me.
I agree, kind of what I was planning eventually doing. Being a college student money isn't as readily available as I would like. That's why I guess I figured something that isnt made to hold solely camera gear and has space for other use. Way I see it right now I could get something like a should bag that can carry my camera and a lens or two plus some accessories when I do ge those. Then buy something more so dedicated for camera gear to carry more. LIke you Im paranoid but its more so that Im going to buy something to collect dust or doesn't fit what I want.

I don't know, does that make sense, should I do that or something else. If I'm saying something stupid or just repeating myself just let me know haha. Feels like it sounds like I am trying to justify me buying a shoulder bag but just want to make sure you know what I was thinking/feeling and that it isn't a bad idea.

If you want the shoulder bag, get the shoulder bag!

I also wanted something that I could just leave all my gear in... another reason to get something that will fit everything. When I want to go a-picturin', I just grab my backpack and head out. No packing or unpacking needed.

According to Canon's specs, I carry around 10.4lbs in my crumpler in just my Camera, lenses, and flash. That's not counting the radio triggers, blower, light meter, batteries, light clamps on the side, and other small things roaming around in there. I probably shoulder about 12-13lbs worth of gear in my carry everything bag.

That's a 5D MKII with grip, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/2L, 15mm f/2.8 fish eye, and 580EX II flash.

I had my crumpler shouldered minus the flash and extra goodies and clamps for a concert I was shooting. I had to switch from left to right on occasion, but I was good for about the 3 hours I was there. I can't see it being that much of a problem unless you really load up with camera, books, and a laptop and are walking long distances over longer periods of time.

I also wanted something that I could just leave all my gear in... another reason to get something that will fit everything. When I want to go a-picturin', I just grab my backpack and head out. No packing or unpacking needed.

Some one asked me the other day how long it would take for me to get my photography gear together. It's always sitting in the bag under the computer desk so when I want to go, I grab it and head out.

Some one asked me the other day how long it would take for me to get my photography gear together. It's always sitting in the bag under the computer desk so when I want to go, I grab it and head out.

that's the best way to be.

Well for a shoulder bag what do people think of the one I posted originally, haven't heard of the brand till now so I'm not familiar with it. Also any other suggestions for bag to will be welcome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back