Camera batteries seem to have lost their staying power

I

Iron Flatline

Hi all. After almost two years of hiatus (with a few shots occasionally), I have dug out my dSLR again. The problem is that my batteries are not holding a charge particularly well. I give them a full charge, but after 30-50 exposures they're empty. When I try to charge them, the charger read full (steady light) after no more than a few minutes. I will keep the batteries on the charger for a while for good measure, but it does not increase their life.

I don't use the LCD on the back to look at the images, so that isn't drawing any power.

It's a Canon 5D. I have three batteries, two of which are older, from my Canon D60.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and get a new battery or two?

i'd say most definitely, buy a few batteries. unless you're happy with 30 frames at a time.

I just had to buy extra batteries for my d1h. But even with new batteries you only get like 200 shots =(

Yup.. happened to me as well. I had a battery or two from the days of shooting with my D30 that migrated to my G5. The don't hold much either... I had to break down and purchase a couple new ones. (Aftermarket Energizers I think ..)

AFAIK, one of the advantages of li-ion batteries is that it doesn't hold memory and generally compact. One of the disadvantages is they have a shelf life.

By comparison, The battery life on my 1d-MarkII is simply AMAZING. It came with two Ni-MH battery packs (used). On my long trips, 1 battery will last more than a single day of shooting. I rarely need to resort to the second battery and I will admit that I do chimp with the LCD on difficult exposures. The disadvantage (which is where LI-Ions are more popular) is the bulk and maintenance required. You have to be religious with discharging and recharging to prevent damage (memory).

You need new ones. After a long time being unused, they will lose their capacity. Especially if you store them empty.

I misread this thread to mean that batteries aren't as good as they used to be. My experience is totally opposite. I have a Canon S500 that even with a new battery gives me less than 100 shots, and a Samsung Digimax L85 that certainly gives over 400.

To echo and modify the words of Elizabeth 1st, I change/charge the battery on my 5D once a month whether I need to or not. I am astonished at how long it lasts.

On the whole life of any rechargeable battery, it is a problem that if it isn't used it deteriorates permanently. That's why I now don't buy anything battery powered unless it's going to be in constant use, or I try to use alkalines.

On the whole life of any rechargeable battery, it is a problem that if it isn't used it deteriorates permanently. That's why I now don't buy anything battery powered unless it's going to be in constant use, or I try to use alkalines.
Interesting...

Yep depends on the chemistry of the battery too. Things like NiMH have a very very fast self discharge rate, and suffer the problem of dying if they are over discharged and overcharged. NiCad discharge slowly but have a memory effect if you don't charge them properly. Alkalines are tool of choice for low power devices like remotes where the flattening is dominated by self discharge rather than device use, and will last more than a year.

Anyone care to clue me in on LIons ?

Most reactions

Back