Camera body build question...

swiftparkour94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went online and decided to compare the build between a cheap fast FPS camera, the Canon 7D and then the very more expensive 1D Mark iv. Canon says that the 7D has a magnesium body and that the Mark iv has a magnesium alloy body. What's the difference?

I don't know about Canon but these cameras are world's apart. The 7D I think is only half magnesium while the 1d is full magnesium body? A Canon shooter will be able to tell you more.

I went online and decided to compare the specs between a cheap car, the Ford Fiesta and then the very more expensive Aston Martin DB9. Ford says that the Fiesta has a wheel covers and that the DB9 has Steel Wheels.
What's the difference?

Sw1tchFX said:
I went online and decided to compare the specs between a cheap car, the Ford Fiesta and then the very more expensive Aston Martin DB9. Ford says that the Fiesta has a wheel covers and that the DB9 has Steel Wheels.
What's the difference?

I don't know cars well so that does nothing for me

DorkSterr said:
I don't know about Canon but these cameras are world's apart. The 7D I think is only half magnesium while the 1d is full magnesium body? A Canon shooter will be able to tell you more.

Oh ok well thanks :)

Anyone out there know the difference?

usayit said:
I think this falls into the category that if you don't know it probably isn't worth the extra....

It's not that, read what I said and the difference in the name. It's a concern, I'm not buying any camera right now

Yes.. I did read.. Refer to Sw1tchFX post. Same thing. You dismiss his analogy without actually thinking that the real answer is right there in front of you. You want it in black and white so that little thinking is required.

I'll make it even more obvious... Fiesta and DB9 are both made of metal parts... yet you still can't see the difference? You don't need to be a car enthusiast nor in the market in purchasing a camera to figure out.

The 1 series is much more expensive for many reasons beyond just the build.... what type of answer are looking for? That the magnesium in one camera comes with a special magic formula that translates to impeccable composition no matter the photographer behind it? What? Your OP is already making a blanket statement that the magnesium in 7D and 1 series is the differentiating factor in price... incorrect assumption. You put two sentences in formulating a broad question and yet expect anything more than short answers in response?

Last edited:
The magnesium alloy in the 1D series is alloyed with unobtanium. SO, it's a mix of magnesium and unobtanium; that's what gives the 1D series that Canon goodness.

usayit said:
Yes.. I did read.. Refer to Sw1tchFX post. Same thing. You dismiss his analogy without actually thinking that the real answer is right there in front of you. You want it in black and white so that little thinking is required.

I'll make it even more obvious... Fiesta and DB9 are both made of metal parts... yet you still can't see the difference? You don't need to be a car enthusiast nor in the market in purchasing a camera to figure out.

The 1 series is much more expensive for many reasons beyond just the build.... what type of answer are looking for? That the magnesium in one camera comes with a special magic formula that translates to impeccable composition no matter the photographer behind it? What? Your OP is already making a blanket statement that the magnesium in 7D and 1 series is the differentiating factor in price... incorrect assumption. You put two sentences in formulating a broad question and yet expect anything more than short answers in response?

You're taking my words out of context: magnesium vs magnesium >>>ALLOY<<< difference. That's it

Derrel said:
The magnesium alloy in the 1D series is alloyed with unobtanium. SO, it's a mix of magnesium and unobtanium; that's what gives the 1D series that Canon goodness.

OHHHH ok so the 7D only has magnesium? My guess is that the unobtanium would make it lighter, right?

Unobtanium won't help with structural integrity..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back