Camera body question????

JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I'm buying a new lens that cost more than my camera body did it brings up a question I've had for awhile that I'm hoping some of you can clear up for me. I have a Nikon D40. I know some lenses don't auto focus on it (hence why I'm spending so much on one that does), is this a smart move?? Is there any reason other that more fancy options that I should upgrade my camera body?? I'm VERY happy with my D40 and figure I'd spend the money on glass, lighting, props, etc.. instead.

personally, i wouldn't mind spending for glass more expensive than my camera. I have a canon XS (lowest end canon), and I am very happy with it. I can see myself buying a $800 lens or even an L :D

Lenses become an "investment" in photography, they tend to last more than bodies :D So if you "progress" into photography and see yourself buying another body in the future, you can still use the same lenses, but if you see yourself not upgrading the body, you will still feel good because the images you capture from your "invested" lens is priceless :D

That's very sensible thinking. Don't buy another body until you have a reason to do so.

The D90 does have excellent (low) high-ISO noise characteristics.

glass glass glass. Only buy bodies when you have a reason to buy one

If you look at Nikon's website, it seems as though AF-S is the new standard, at least to me. Even the big boys like the 600 f4 are AF-S. No reason not to buy them.

I'd love to buy a new body. Bracketing would be awesome. Better high ISO performance would be awesome, but there are other things that I need before that. The body is worth nothing if you don't have the lens to capture it with.

While I'm a Canon shooter, if you look at my gear list you will see it filled with top quality Canon glass. One lens in that list cost me more than a 1Ds MkIII does. You will also see three bodies. When those three bodies are no longer being useable by anyone, that glass will still be shooting away.

Bodies come and go, but quality glass, if properly cared for can last a lifetime.

I'm getting a 50mm 1.4 AF-S.

Okay...so I guess I made the right choice! I just didn't know if there was any BIG reason to upgrade bodies or not. Thanks for the replies!

Yep there are many lenses which will work fine with your D40, even some of Nikon's best. 70-200 2.8 comes to mind:)

You did good.

Hang on to the D40 till it starts to limit your creativity.

For what it's worth, every Canon camera made since 1987 is like your D40, no focus motor in the body.

Like benlonghair said, all of Nikons new lenses have a focus motor in them (AF-S).

Now, if you can avoid buying DX glass.....

You did good.

Hang on to the D40 till it starts to limit your creativity.

For what it's worth, every Canon camera made since 1987 is like your D40, no focus motor in the body.

Like benlonghair said, all of Nikons new lenses have a focus motor in them (AF-S).

Now, if you can avoid buying DX glass.....

Yeah but unlike Canon who puts a focus motor in all of their EF lenses, Nikon also makes lenses with no AF motor in them as well. Seems as of late that Nikon is now going the way of Canon and putting focus motors in all their new lenses.

...Is there any reason other that more fancy options that I should upgrade my camera body?? ...

Back in olden times, long ago and far away (20th century) the answer would be "no" because you would be shooting film and any model body can shoot the same film. The only differences would be "camera" differences, very few of which have any impact on the quality of the pictures.

Today, while the "camera" differernces are still there, the "film" is now the digital sensor and support electronics. The "film" is often better in the more advanced bodies so upgrading the body can allow you to get better pictures.

Still, the biggest quality limitation in almost all basic models is the lens. The biggest quality improvement would come from upgrading both body and lens, but if you upgrade incrementally its usually best to upgrade the lens first and the body later.

You know what the best lens I have ever shot on the D40 is? It is the 200mm f/2 AF-S VR-G. Its price was about eight times the price of a D40 body, and the weight of the lens is probably 15 times heavier than the body.
Good lenses last for many years; I have Nikkors I bought in 1982 that are still in service and still capable of professional results, like a 105 f/2.5 AiS.

When you buy a good Nikkor lens, keep in mind that it will hold its value pretty well, usually beating the rate of inflation quite handily. In the future,consider that if you buy a top-grade lens on the used market, you can usually use it for 3-5 years and sell it for "more" than you payed for it,even adjusted for inflation....

The D40 offers image quality that would have cost $4,995 five or six years ago.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back