Camera Bodys

badazzpanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Another funnt one!

You are all photographers, so a question...

Camera design... I am interested in developing a conceptual SLR body for one of my degree projects.

Those who use SLR's, are you overall pleased with the erogonomic and visual properties of the bodies?

Quite a wide area of study, but if you are particularly impressed with an aspect of a particular body tell me!

Myself I disslike the overall design of say the EOS300d but love the Olimpus 8080 (not quite SLR). I work in a camera shop and get to play with hundreds of cameras and feel there is usualy somthing that could be improved.

Myself I disslike the overall design of say the EOS300d

ditto

btw. very good thread!

I would like to see a white SLR, something kinda similar to Apple's design. Not too "shiny", really simple but attention capturing. It would be nice, if it'd be handy too :p

maybe a few aluminium parts, but not too shiny.

if you could design such a cam, I would buy it.

good luck, great concept :)

I'd really like to see a camera that has the solidness of the Nikon F, with the arty-chrome on it, with the comfortable hold the D70 has.

As Santino said, the whole Apple ipod/ibook white look would be pretty cool for an SLR, and certainly a departure from the standard black/300d plastic silver you see everywhere.

I love the ergonomics of the Dynax 5. It has a hand start feature which activates the camera when you touch two metal strips on a lump on the right hand side (as you look through the eyepiece) of the camera (I hope that makes sense). That lump is also great for holding the camera. Above that is a small silver and black coloured wheel which has a nice sturdy click to it. You use that to change aperture, shutter speed, etc whilst pressing other buttons. The way it is all laid out is great and you can operate the camera with your right hand only. That includes holding the thing and operating it. It's also nice and light.

The only problem is the DOF preview button. It is in just the wrong place to catch your little finger as you hold it. It only takes the slightest pressure to activate it.

You can see the lump on the left of the camera in this picture and the wheel above it. The DOF preview button is that small black thing set in the grey plastic at the base next to the lump.
g162920.jpg

The standard design of an SLR is based on needing to accomodate a roll of film. Why do digital SLRs still follow this? Let's see a DSLR that breaks away from the mold.

I too would second an apple-like design. I've always wanted apple to develop a good modern digital camera (something more advanced than their QuickTake cameras of the mid-nineties). Other than that, I guess I can't say much as I don't have very much experience with SLR cameras other than my 20-year-old Pentax.

I would really like to see the design once it's finished, whenever that is. Be sure to keep us updated :)

If you are going to run with the apple idea don't look at the nasty white plastic jobs... go and check out a G5 they look superb. In fact I have modded my PC desktop to closely resemble a G5 and I own a shuttle PC so that looks pretty sweet too.

As far as camera design goes... I like the way the design of the SLR has not varied a great deal over the years... I like the fact that my 20D almost looks like my dads Olympus OM-1. The basic design of an SLR is so classic it's cool.

The thing I dont like about my canon rebel 2000 is there is one wheel to change the shutter, and if you want to change the aperature you have to hold a button down then move the wheel. I like the 2 wheel design of the fuji s2 pro or what ever the name is. The "shift" button woudlnt be to bad if it was over more, but I think they moved it for the digital rebel, makes it easier to hold the camera with one hand and use the button and wheel at the same time.

The thing I dont realy like about dslr's is you cant use a view screen to see the image before you take it, you have to look through the viewfinder. Some of the angles I like to use, I cant do that.

One feature I really like about that one canon camera is the lcd screen can be flipped around and rotated.

One design I dont like about most new slr's is you need custom parts like a custom release cord, etc, which costs you alot of money for something that should be cheap

An interesting option would be to set it up so you can use it with either hand. The other day I wanted to hold the flash over my right side but since I use the right hand to triggeer the camera, this wasnt really an option unless I use a timer.

2 wheels is always good. One for aperture, other for shutter speed.

I want it to have the vertical grip too.

It has to be black. It's the universal color.

Rubberized grips are good.

Other than that, I am pretty much satisfied with today's cameras.

On the second thought...

It HAS to have the holes for the neck strap on the back of the body. You can then carry it with telephoto lens no problem.

Cheers

I had a nice idea that would be cool: Not only a cool new design, but also dual backs: One for film and one for Digital. Think about it, it would make things SO much easier if you could switch between the two, 'specially if the film back could be switched without exposing unused film.

Scurra said:
If you are going to run with the apple idea don't look at the nasty white plastic jobs... go and check out a G5 they look superb.

dunno if a camera would look good if it would be of stainless steel, especially it wouldn't be nice to touch (hold). it would get pretty fast cold (if it'd be winter outside and such stuff).

santino said:
Scurra said:
If you are going to run with the apple idea don't look at the nasty white plastic jobs... go and check out a G5 they look superb.

dunno if a camera would look good if it would be of stainless steel, especially it wouldn't be nice to touch (hold). it would get pretty fast cold (if it'd be winter outside and such stuff).

Yeah, but it sure would take a beating. Maybe rubber coating where it matters :p

DocFrankenstein said:
It has to be black. It's the universal color.

Rubberized grips are good.
I kind of second this. I think either black or grey, or both for a camera, but no other funky color. Rubberized grips are nice too, but one thing I really don't like for a camera is when it has leather or leathery rubber on the whole front, or even worse when it has that plastic fake-leather on it. I want a camera that has a sleek, smooth, sexy design, in a simple color.

Hmm, I kinda agree with the black issue for SLR's, the duel wheel thing is a sore point as well, my smaller Nikon is a real pain in that respect!

The cool as ipod and g5 finish coild rule, but I think more suited to smaller consumer cameras, less proffesional SLR. A Silver EOS 20d would look wierd with a blck lens on it n' all.

What are your feelings on the phisical rugedness of a camera, would you prefer a body super clean and simple with loads of negative space, or a more rugged beast more remenisant of the EOS 3 and Olimpus 8080?

Most reactions

Back