Camera bounce prevention?

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there any way to keep the camera from bouncing and swaying around when hanging off my neck in front of me? (preferably something homemade) I tried moving it to the side so that the camera is just behind/under my armpit but it's not the quickest and easiest way to carry it if I need it in a split second due to big shoulders and long arms... It gets old having it swing around while on walks or hikes.
Thanks!
-BIG

when im hiking I normally have my backpack with me *few waters, maybe a lens or two, trailmix* and I have the same problem. With the battery grip the camera doesnt tend to aim down. I was thinking of perhaps getting a couple of those metalic clips *looks like a deformed D* and clip the camera strap to both shoulder straps. But that doesnt completly remove the strain on the neck unless you dont put it around your neck and just let it hang off of the clips. But then it might be to far down and occasionally hit you in the gut. :)

www.blackrapid.com

Camera straps are really designed to go over a shoulder not around your neck.

+1 I love this strap.

Took a while to get used to it but i now completely trust it with my gripped Fuji S5 + SB-800 + Sigma 70-200 2.8

www.blackrapid.com

Is there any way to keep the camera from bouncing and swaying around when hanging off my neck in front of me? (preferably something homemade)

Ducktape?

KMH: Like I said, I have tried putting it around my neck with the camera under my arm on the side but if something comes up quick, there's just no way I can pull my arm through in time.

Loopy: Well, I figured someone would tell me about something that's like $100...;) I am trying to save money. I really like that stabilizer strap though.

Also, not to be rude but who says cameras were designed to be worn on the shoulder, I just came back from the zoo today and I saw one person out of probably one hundred that had their cameras in front of them around their necks. (most were dslr) It may feel heavier but at least it won't accidentally slip off.

That blackrapid thing reminds me of a type of strap the Leica folks have been using for years. The issue I have with that type of design is that it had a tendency to still swing around with body movement as well as slide forward once you bend forward. I once knocked my son in the head when I bent down to assist him a more difficult part of the trail we were on.... he was NOT happy.. (I fixed the issue with a modified lens pouch to serve as a holster.. not an option for a large SLR). Does the Blackrapid strap have some of solution for this?

Website for the Y-strap: Y Strap « The Figital Revolution
(I made my own with material I had in my shop).

www.blackrapid.com

Is there any way to keep the camera from bouncing and swaying around when hanging off my neck in front of me? (preferably something homemade)

Ducktape?

KMH: Like I said, I have tried putting it around my neck with the camera under my arm on the side but if something comes up quick, there's just no way I can pull my arm through in time.
With the Black Rapid strap you don't take your arm out of the strap. The camera slides along the strap. If you watch their video it becomes much clearer how advantagous the strap can be. The Black Rapid strap is the quickest I have ever used.

Also, not to be rude but who says cameras were designed to be worn on the shoulder, I just came back from the zoo today and I saw one person out of probably one hundred that had their cameras in front of them around their necks. (most were dslr) It may feel heavier but at least it won't accidentally slip off.
Not rude at all. Remember you are watching a large group of amateur photographers. If you look at how pros use a strap will will observe the exact inverse of your observations at the zoo.

I havent seen alot of pro's in action, but the ones I have, I havent seen them hang the camera on their shoulder. I would be afraid of the camera slipping off and hitting something, damaging the lens or what have you.

Around the neck works for me, except when I have a good lens on the camera. I did that at a wedding, and my neck was sore for a week. I do tend to wrap the camera strap around my hand and hold the camera that way if the camera is going to be in constant use for a while.

Ill have to check the above link. :)

I run my strap from the right side of my neck over the left shoulder on the left side. It is stable and, I have developed a technique of scooping it up fast with the left hand. I even do it with a pack on.

I never leave my apartment without my camera. I use an Op-Tech strap and, since I'm left handed, the camera strap is on my right shoulder and the camera rides just forward of my left hip. In some situations I move the strap down and the camera is riding just behind me. It's convenient to hold it, it doesn't swing when I walk, and it works for me. I also have my little daypack and my walking stick every time I leave my apartment and I can still use my camera quickly and easily.

Most reactions

Back