Camera Confusion

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by HappySnap, Jul 20, 2008.

1. HappySnap

HappySnap TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,

I am still in the confusion of trying to choose a slr to suit me and my budget and I am torn between the nikon d40 (seems a good camera for the price though it seems are restricted when it comes to lense?) and now the Olympus E510. Never had an olympus before, so I have no idea if they are good or user friendly.

I have read review after review and they all say something slight different. The Nikon D40 seems to get great reviews but the only let down is the lenses and the AF being a bit slow. The E510 seems to get good reviews but in some they say that even at ISO 400 noise is apparent...??? I am just so confused as to what to buy.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Nik

2. Hobbes

Hobbes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. HappySnap

HappySnap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Sounds stupid but I have already owned that camera. I had to sell it for several reasons and now I just cant afford the cost of it. For the same cost of the 400d i could buy the nikon d40 with 2 lenses.

4. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    A excellent entry level DSLR is the Canon Rebel XTi as mentioned above. If you cannot afford the body with money to spare for 1 cheap lens. I don't recommend getting a DSLR IMHO. You should save your money.

5. amba

amba TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The D40 is a excellent camera. This isn't only my opinion, Ken Rockwell says so (we all know he sold his soul to the D40, but that's OK, I still trust his judgement on this one..)

I own a D70 which I really like, I actually considered buying a D40, the only reason I am not doing so is that I have an older Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 AF lens with no built in motor, I use that lens very often and the D40 does not support motorless lenses AF, only ones with built in AFS motor.

As first camera I don't think the D40 is significantly (any?) "better" than Oly, but your upgrade options will be much broader once you start a Nikon system, compared to any SLR system that isn't Nikon or Canon.

6. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    Amba, I think you would be shocked with Pentax's "upgrade options".

7. HappySnap

HappySnap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont think that is true - as i said i already owned the 400d and i wasnt overly impressed so i dont see why going to a different slr is a bad thing?!

You have to sometimes work within a budget and at this present time for the money the d40 looks good - IMO.

8. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with you! It's not true at all! :) I understand what he might be trying to say about quality and all but it's a misspoken way of saying it imho.

The E510 is very ergonomic and user friendly. Most dSLRs are. Companies that traditionally have a lower sales volume I think focus extra hard generally speaking, on being just a little nicer in exactly such ares as simplified and common-sensical menu layout and overall navigation as well as button/dial placement and functionality.

Of course you can see the body in any of the reviews or go to the local shop and hold it for an hour or so to confirm that.

• It has a built in dual-mode IS system ("SWD") so lenses don't need to incorporate it and it's superior to Nikon's and Canon's system in my opinion. Far superior.

• It's a 10MP MOS (10.9 total) with live mode so the sensor part is looking very cool!

• it has both 3rd party and manufacturer good and cheap lenses available for it. Here's just the ZUIKO ones:

• Professional lenses:
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm (14-28mm) 1:4.0
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 35-100mm (70-200mm) 1:2.0
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 90-250mm (180-500mm) 1:2.8
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150mm (300mm) 1:2.0
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm (600mm) 1:2.8

• Pro-sumer lenses:
        ZUIKO DIGITAL 11-22mm (22-44mm) 1:2.8-3.5
        ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-54mm (28-108mm) 1:2.8-3.5
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm (100-400mm) 1:2.8-3.5
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm (16mm) 1:3.5 Fisheye
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50mm (100mm) 1:2.0 Macro

• Consumer lenses:
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm (28-84mm) 1:3.5-5.6
        ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-45mm (28-90mm) 1:3.5-5.6
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 18-180mm (36-360mm) 1:3.5-6.3
        ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm (80-300mm) 1:3.5-4.5
        ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm (80-300mm) 1:4.0-5.6 (pancake)
        ZUIKO DIGITAL 35mm Macro (70mm) 1:3.5

Among others!

• It uses sonics for sensor cleaning (not the hedgehog!)

• it has an AA (Anti Alias) LP filter that is unique to it - which is good!

And you can look at the sample images for yourself to determine if the noise is too bad for you. I guess it's not as good as the Nikon D700 or the D3 but what does the E510 sell for these days? $450 or something like that? As opposed to $2,500 and up? :p I can tell you one thing - My camera has about a bazillion times more noise than the E510 and you can look at my photos in the link below.

- Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  9. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    BTW, I'm not saying you should get that camera or not... that's 100% your decision. I'm just saying that it's a good system. VERY worthy ESPECIALLY given it's price tag!

10. johncliff

johncliff TPF Noob!

Im am currently looking at investing in a bridge camera and I am very confused at which makes and models are any good.
    My price range is between £100-200 and I will be using it for wildlife, sports, and scenic shots.
    I may want to print some of the pictures in A4 to display around the house.
    The models I was looking at was the Fujifilm s1000fd or Fujifilm s8000fd, which is the better one out of the 2 models named?
    Also is there anything else on the market that is better for the same price range?
    I will be investing in a tripod also for when i will be using the zoom etc.

I want to start learning more about photography without investing in a DSLR.

johncliff
    Aquarium supplies

11. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You get what you pay for...

12. sburatorul

sburatorul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The link bifurcator provided isn't relevant as all photos are at 100 iso so of course they are not noisy. look on dpreview.com for reviews and noise tests.