Camera Decseions

Photo184

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i fell in love with doing photography off my iphone 5/6 for the last year and a half and i want to buy a camera now. i been stuck on which to buy. i feel like its between these two cameras

-canon 5d mark 3 (my main suggestion on buying)

-sony alpha a7rII

i like to do all around photography. Landscapes, urban area, city lights, potraits, modeling, etc

also like to film a little. cinematic/ short films

mostly im moving to LA next year and wanna capture alot of low light photos of the city at night but also plan to travel around the world so i want a camera that i can make fit of all situations and photos.

i found the mark 3 to be cheaper so i could invest in lens and a microphone. i dont know which lens to buy cause im not that familiar with them yet. yet i see stunning photos

the sony alpha has nice 4k video and i like the body style and how smaller it is.

its really getting overwhelming. im currently learning lightroom and photoshop to help make my photos better. please help me

When you're going to do film, I recommended you to buy dslr. But if you just want to take photo, sony alpha is also a good choise

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forums.
I own both cameras you consider, but since I purchased the Sony, I hardly ever shoot with the canon. You named a few pros of the sony. Another few would be:
  • Electronic Viewfinder: awesome when you want to review your images or videos in bright daylight. I initially thought the EVF will be worse than the optical viewfinder, but it is definitely not - except for studio environments
  • It´s size is not only nice to carry, but is for the moment also not attracting as many views from people around as the bigger 5D III
  • I like the menu (not many do though ;)) and especially the function button.
  • you can choose almost any area on the frame to set a single focus point - the Canon is somewhat limited towards the center of the frame Look at this image vs this image
  • the outstanding image stabilizer
  • unbelievable resolution
  • great dynamic range
  • video is so much better compared to 5d III
Cons:
  • no option to capture smaller raw images - if you shoot a lot during a day, the amount of data is huge. That is probably the biggest downside for me.
  • EDIT: no longer valid, if you turn off long exposure noise reduction (see Derrels post below, thanks!!!): night photography - the sony takes as long for processing the image, as it takes for capturing it - so you´d better calculate some extra time. For Night timelapse I think that makes the camera rather useless since the break between the shots might be too long.
  • studio environments - I still like the canon better for studio work
  • skintones and overall color - I think canon has a lead in the industry in this regard for my personal taste
  • Lens selection somewhat limited and expensive, but it keeps getting better.
  • Accessories: less than there are for Canon, but it too keeps getting better
That´s what quickly comes into my mind - I hope that helps ;)

Last edited:
Why does the Sony take so long to process the image? Is long exposure noise reduction being left on? Can you turn off long exposure noise reduction or is it something else?

Why does the Sony take so long to process the image? Is long exposure noise reduction being left on? Can you turn off long exposure noise reduction or is it something else?
Derrel, you are awesome. I never thought of it because I thought it would only affect jpgs - but the camera creates a dark frame, that´s why it takes so long. Just turned off LENR and the image is there immediately - thanks a lot. You just made this awesome camera even better!!! From now on I´ll call it a7rIID ;). Interestingly several other people I was talking to had the same problem. One of them does professional timelapse and went back to his canons for the night shots, so he had to carry another camera on his trips. I´ll tell him and he will be delighted! Thanks again!

Canon 5d Will be the Great Choice for you its Dslr camera that will full fill your All Requirement of photography. Sony alpha a7rII is also Good Camera

When you're going to do film, I recommended you to buy dslr. But if you just want to take photo, sony alpha is also a good choise

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
This is really backwards in my view. Not only is the Sony a7R II equipped with better video features and capabilities, its lack of a mirror actually makes it easier to use during video recording. The 5D Mark III needs to be switched to Live View mode, where it's not really well optimized — for example, autofocus is very slow. Meanwhile, the a7R II, being a mirrorless camera, is basically in Live View mode at all times, and is designed to be used this way.

Just "Google" canon 5d mkiii vs Sony a7rii. I did and from what I can see, the Sony has a big edge with video. I have a Sony A6000 and a Nikon D750 and I kind of know how these two camera compare. I think that for what you are wanting to do, the Sony will more than satisfy your needs, especially when it comes to video. Where the Canon has the edge is with lens selection and accessories both OEM and 3rd party. 22 MP vs 42 MP isn't as big of a deal as say 3 vs 6. Once you hit 12MP more MP start to have diminishing returns. Read as much as you can. Ken Rockwell reviews both of them and even though I don't agree with everything he writes, does a decent job pointing out these cameras strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Both are excellent cameras, but I have used a 5D in the past and I can only recommend it. There is a feeling with using an optical viewfinder that I can't seem to get with electronic, but that's just personal taste!

Both are excellent cameras, but I have used a 5D in the past and I can only recommend it. There is a feeling with using an optical viewfinder that I can't seem to get with electronic, but that's just personal taste!

I've owned 5D's and 1Ds and now I have evolved to mirrorless. I absolutely love the EVF of my Fuji's. What I hate of the EVF is the blackouts between EVF screen updates ... but that has been getting better and better as the software improves. (Generally, the blackout only becomes obvious to me when shooting multiple FPS.) I even adjust my settings per the EVF as opposed to the light meter.

Yes, the video on the Sony is better, but the Canon lens lineup trumps Sony. But, then again, how many lenses do you need ... then again, the Sony easily accepts legacy glass.

I think a more fair comparison would be a 5DS R vs. the Alpha A7RII. Even in that comparison, I think the Sony wins camera body to camera body.

Just remember that the A7RII at 40MP and the 50MP 5DS R, are both specialty cameras requiring superior lenses and superior post processing hardware and software. (superior = expensive)

Most reactions

Back